Difficult introduction to flock...

path.otto

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Mason City, IA
Hi! My neighbors have an Araucana chicken that has adopted me as her flock. This is ok with them as they won't be getting more chickens until spring and with 5 children they don't have much time to devote to her. I don't care for their laisse faire attitude when it comes to their flock so I am more than happy to keep her.

How to introduce a single, 4-year old, lame chicken (favors one leg but can get around, like greased lightening) to a flock of 5 juveniles (near layers)?

Health issues: She appears to be healthy, wondering about worming, however?

She has been spending nights in our garage in a dog crate and comes to the door when she wants to be let into the crate during the day to lay. Every other day I get a very large blue egg. She comes back around 7 to be let in to roost. She spends the day in our bushes around the property. She seems to be very good at survival! I provide food and water for her.

My thought is to let her spend time during the day in her crate in the walk-in run; a couple hours at first and building to a point where I can let her out under observation. At some point I will also add 3 more chickens to the walk-in. They just started laying and have been with our other 5. I'm tractoring them right now.

The Araucana has exhibited little interest in the chickens even though she could have checked them out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Worming? How much time for crate introduction before moving on to physical introduction? With winter coming I just don't know if she could survive on her own, even with the current care she receives. Thanks!

I think your plan is a good one. You have a unique hen that is very independent, so it will remain to be seen if she is able to join the flock. She may be content to remain on the periphery, just letting herself be in sight of the others.

I wrote about how I introduce a single adult hen to my flock. I've done it twice now, and the system works for me. You might get some ideas you can use. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock

azygous, that is a very informative article, thanks so much.

Winters can be pretty tough here in N Central Iowa so I want to give her the best chance possible. I'll let you know how it goes.

So, I started the introduction on Friday, but we had such crappy weather over the weekend that I postponed anything else until today.

Pretty Girl (PG) has survived 60 chickens and various turkeys and ducks and isn't going to submit to domination easily! She has been fighting with the others through the kennel doors. I will leave her in the kennel in the run tonight so she is there when I let them out in the morning.

I'm hesitant to sneak her in the roost one night while the others are sleeping. I've heard it may work and also, I've heard I may find a blood bath when I open the coop in the morning. I let them out at sunrise and, @asygous, wondering if I should let them out earlier?

Also, in case this matters, the 3 dominant birds roost in a different coop (I have Omlets). My idea was to put her in with the 5 younger birds (not by much). They are all in the same run, however. I think she will actually have to integrate with two different flocks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I apologize in advance for this lengthy post...

Don't know if anyone is following this but I thought I would bring you up to date on the introduction of PG to my flock of 8.

Much has changed. After much thought I came to the conclusion that Omlet coops are not necessarily best for all regions in the US. Winters can be brutal here and I just couldn't see the chooks spending multiple days in the Omlet, even though they were connected to the run. In October I purchased a large coop (12' x 14') from a friend and quickly got to work cleaning and disinfecting. I painted, redid the layout and got it the way I wanted it. My DH, who is incredibly talented, made an automatic pop door opener with a linear actuator and I get lots of laughs watching them jockey for position waiting for it to open in the morning.

So, back to PG, she had a horrible molt this fall and I didn't want to throw her in until her blood feathers were fully in. We had amazingly nice weather until Dec. 5 when it suddenly became winter. I have been letting her out with the flock and she gets on fine with most - except the "gang of two". They can be merciless in their pecking, although PG has usually drawn first blood with both.

I noticed a couple of days ago there appeared to be much more pecking and squabbling amongst the chickens so I think the pecking order is being altered. I wondered if removing the "gang of two" (either a production red or NH and a Barred Rock) for awhile would expedite things?

My concern is, her temperament appears to be more aligned with a BO and she is content to spend her day on a roost. I'm afraid she is not getting enough to eat, so I confine her back in her crate for a couple of hours with food and water and then I'm concerned I'm setting the introduction back!

I put her on the roost with the other chickens at night and make sure I'm there in the morning. Appears to be no problems there.

I would really appreciate some feed back from some of you more "seasoned" keepers,
@azygous or @aart and anyone else who may want to weigh in. Thanks, in advance, for wading through this and for any suggestions you may offer.

Well, it sure sounds like my original observation about PG held. She is not inclined to joining your flock, either because she's always been on her own, or because of her independent temperament.

Probably you aren't going to be able to change her mind. However, over time, I'm talking a year, she will gradually join the flock.

I've learned over the years that my idea if how the flock should operate can be a lot different from what the chickens have in mind. Sometimes you just can't fight these stubborn creatures.

Is PG pecking at any other birds but the 'two'?
How long have they all been in the newer larger coop?
PG may still be lethargic and isolating due to the molt and those tender pins.
Are you sure she's not eating, do you check her crop at night on the roost to see if it's full?

It would be best to wait it out, as long as no one is being seriously harassed/beaten/bloodied. These things can take time and there are multiple stressors at play here, integration/molting/new coop.

@aart, my two original flocks have integrated into one, finally! I have 3 approx. 10 mos. old pullets (NH, BR and BO) and 5 approximately 7-8 mos. old, SLW (2) and BR (3). And, PG, an Americauna, who is 4 years old and lame.

They all went into the new coop about 2 weeks ago. PG in her crate. I was hoping the disorientation for all would work in PG's behalf. She was first in her crate in the storage area but they could see her through the welded wire and after a week of that I moved the crate into the coop area.

A couple of days ago I put PG out into the coop area and she was immediately attacked by the NH. They fought for a short time and PG went into a submissive crouch and the NH continued to beat on her. I put PG back into her crate she was not injured but her lameness and age do not make for an even match. The NH had an injured comb so I took care of that and left PG in her crate for the rest of the day. The next day I put PG into the run. She was pretty much ignored by by the NH but the 2nd in the pecking order took an interest in her. Followed her around, would get up on a roost I have in the run with her and occasionally peck at her. She attacked her on the ground and the NH ended up with a pecked wattle. But it is obvious that PG is scared even though she tries to defend herself.

I think PG is eating when she is in her crate but she is not eating when she is in the run with the other chickens. I know this because I don't leave her alone with them. If she is out then I am with them. I handle her a lot and her keel is thin. Her crop is not visible at night like it is on the others. Right now I am just going for calories and giving her extra treats when she is in the crate so she can stay warm over night. No one appears to bother her on the roost at night or early in the morning. I know she is stressed because her comb and wattles are pale. Perhaps a combination of molt, new coop, and introduction.

Thanks for your comments. I may be over protecting her, I think.

@azygous , thanks so much for weighing in. PG definitely doesn't seek out the companionship of any of the birds. I'm hoping that is just because they are new to her and not particularly welcoming.

I'm retired and I have all the time in the world to continue on this slow road of introduction. I'm not one to give up easily. As I said to @aart, I may be over protecting her. In theory I understand the pecking order and how it is established, I just wasn't prepared for the reality of it.

Back
Top Bottom