Difficult skinning process

Mrs. Mucket

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I have read posts and tutorials and watched videos on skinning chickens. Normally I learn well from them. But yesterday I tried to skin a chicken (we usually pluck) and it was a disaster! The initial slit and separation of breast skin went well but after that it was very hard to pull the skin away from the meat in many places. It was a 13-month-old Freedom Ranger rooster. Are roosters that age hard to skin? Or is it just me? I thought it would be a better option than plucking since I don't have a scalding pot big enough (he weighed 15 lbs.) but it was definitely a challenge.

Yes roosters are harder...especially anything other than a Cornish X. Skinning a chicken is far easier when the fat layer between the skin and meat is thick. Skin peels right off..I have a unique way of skinning chickens..check my other posts and see what you think.

Mrs. Mucket :

I have read posts and tutorials and watched videos on skinning chickens. Normally I learn well from them. But yesterday I tried to skin a chicken (we usually pluck) and it was a disaster! The initial slit and separation of breast skin went well but after that it was very hard to pull the skin away from the meat in many places. It was a 13-month-old Freedom Ranger rooster. Are roosters that age hard to skin? Or is it just me? I thought it would be a better option than plucking since I don't have a scalding pot big enough (he weighed 15 lbs.) but it was definitely a challenge.

I skinned a sexully mature but younger roo and found the saddle difficult and wings nearly impossible; I just seperated them at the wrist and tossed them. I later happened across a stainlees steel, 5 gallon cooking pot on clearance sale. I don't know his live weight, but I used it to scald a 7 month old CX cockeral that dressed at 13 lbs without the giblets............................... he plucked pretty easily................................ was smoked......................................... and everyone at the Christmas table thought it was a smoked turkey.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom