Digging a hole to China? (Or at least to the back alley)

Xtina

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
My chickens have suddenly started excavating in one spot under my back fence, presumably to get out of the yard. I have no idea why they'd be doing this...I've had chickens for five years and never had anything like this happen. Any ideas why they might be doing this? There's nothing back there but a concrete parking lot and some condos.

My chickens have suddenly started excavating in one spot under my back fence, presumably to get out of the yard. I have no idea why they'd be doing this...I've had chickens for five years and never had anything like this happen. Any ideas why they might be doing this? There's nothing back there but a concrete parking lot and some condos.

Do they have a place to dust bath? Try turning over some sod in a desired location to pull them away from that spot. Put up a barrier around the back fence spot to regain some grass. Worth a try. I really don't think they are trying to escape, just scratching and digging. we have a sink drain that comes out of the barn wall so the dirt gets wet there and my birds love to dig in that spot?!

Back
Top Bottom