Digging!

Twiga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Help! My chickens are digging enormous holes in our lawn to do their dust bathing. One hole I thought i'd let it go , but it's more now and they are so deeeep! how can I stop them and what else can I offer them to stop them dust bathing in my lawn?

They do that! I've heard of people using kiddie pools or similar containers. You can also make sure they have dusty/dirt places around the coop to use, too. Mine do, but they still dig holes all over the yard that they have access to. There is one so big that it looks like someone is doing a dinosaur dig out there! LOL In the fall I go around and fill in all the holes. They then spend the next summer digging new ones. It's pretty much damage control as long as they're running around.
big_smile.png

Help! My chickens are digging enormous holes in our lawn to do their dust bathing. One hole I thought i'd let it go , but it's more now and they are so deeeep! how can I stop them and what else can I offer them to stop them dust bathing in my lawn?

Consider giving them there own sand box to bathe in. Here's an idea I love from an old thread. 8/24/08 Kinnip posted the following picture in a thread titled "Sand-bath". Or make one with wood, like a raised planter?

6711_000_1388.jpg

Walmart has them on line for around $40…. and then there's the cost of sand. But likely better than trying to keep repairing holes and sodding your lawn!
A childs plastic pool could do as well. Both would need drainage holes to prevent soggy sand.

That's a great idea thank you sunflour. I am not in the US but I can find something like this no problem. I guess the drainage is the only issue. I hope they prefer it to their home made version!

That's a great idea thank you sunflour. I am not in the US but I can find something like this no problem. I guess the drainage is the only issue. I hope they prefer it to their home made version!

If they have a favorite area, then try putting it there. And, act like you don't care if they use it, and bet they will. Or a least some will.

My hens are confined to an all in one coop & covered run with all sand floors. I have a small metal baby bathtub and keep it filled with sand. They bathe, sit, and play in it. So fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom