Dirt floor vs wood shavings for coop

Shamo123

Chirping
Dec 14, 2015
England
I currently am using the deep litter method in my coop and i notice a strong ammonia smell when I'm in the coop sometimes (only in the winter) even when turning over the wood shavings regularly

Would taking out the shavings and replacing it with a few inches of dirt sort this out?

'Deep bedding' is not the same as 'deep litter'.

TalkALittle's post on DB vs DL: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075545/can-i-do-deep-litter-method-with-this-coop#post_16440037

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Sounds like this may be where the misunderstanding is throughout this thread.

We have DEEP BEDDING in our coop...dry, deep, wood shavings. No break down and gets cleaned out twice a year (spring & fall).

In the run we have DEEP LITTER, it's a mixture so straw, hay, leaves, grass clippings, landscape debris, pine needles, veggies, fruit, food scrapes & poo. The run is covered but some rain does blow in allowing for break down. This material turns to compost and gets raked out once a year (spring).

Please, lets all share ideas here and not argue or try to prove who is right and who is wrong. We all do things differently, so respect everyone's opinion please.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-BYC Staff

I currently am using the deep litter method in my coop and i notice a strong ammonia smell when I'm in the coop sometimes (only in the winter) even when turning over the wood shavings regularly

Would taking out the shavings and replacing it with a few inches of dirt sort this out?

Yes, I never liked the deep liter method from reading about it----never tried it---I like dry white sand over anything I have ever used---but its heavy compared to shavings---I have a screening turmel I made to sift the poop out the sand----helped a lot. Last time I went back to the big pine chips---Its easier and its according to how many chickens you got on how often you have to change it but your nose will tell you when its time.

We use wood shavings (pine flakes) in our coop and never have had an ammonia odor problem. We do have a poop board filled with PDZ under the roost that gets sifted out everyday or so. The shavings get changed out twice a year.

How deep are the shavings? Good ventilations? Is the water kept outside? Wet shavings stink. Number of chickens/size of coop?

Would need more info, and some pics would help.
You're not really supposed to turn a true composting deep litter.
Climate, number of birds, size of coop, type of floor, ingredients of deep litter, all info could be pertinent.
Can't offer a viable solution until we know just what the problem might be.

Quote: Just pine shavings does not a true composting deep litter make....
.......you need a mix of materials as well as some organism laden soil, and maybe some added moisture, to get things 'growing/breaking down'.

Ventilation is key for reducing odors.
I use only pine shavings on floor but sand/PDZ mix on poop boards, and have tons of 24/7 ventilation......
.....and there are still odors some mornings when fresh cecals have been dropped.

As others have stated, you must have some venting!

Deep bedding works on the principal of creating an environment for beneficial bacteria to break down your organic material into compost. The reason for the deepness of the bedding is to provide some moisture for the material to decompose.

Deep bedding requires at least 12" of material, and its usually better if its more like 24". It is not possible to get compost with less material. If it's not composting you just have poop and carbon and that's what is creating harmful bacteria that produce ammonia.

If you are concerned about thet smell you can always add a dusting of activated lime (while you build mass). There is tons of information on the web about composting, but essentially you want enough carbon to mix with your organic material, in the proper ratio. You can be really creative with finding sources of carbon: paper shredding places, cardboard, mulch, wood shavings, even straw. They all have different carbon ratios...

Deep bedding should never smell like ammonia! Good luck!

Here is a link with C:N ratios...

http://www.homecompostingmadeeasy.com/carbonnitrogenratio.html

I'll also note, that for folks who live where its frozen 5+ months out of the year, deep litter composting is a god send. Your coop needs to be setup for it (so it won't rot), but properly setup, it never smells, and it makes the most wonderful compost. It takes some attention in getting it started, but after that its the lazy man's bedding of choice! We usually muck it out in the spring, and use it as starter compost for our home waste / garden waste compost pile (Which we use the previous years compost for in the garden!)

Back
Top Bottom