Dirty bum....does this indicate something? (i'm worried) :(

My Ameraucana has had a dirty bum for about a week. I haven't had her and the other flock members very long, only a couple weeks, but I dont recall her having a dirty bum when I got her. Also, she was tagged on her leg twice it looks like, does anyone know why that could be? Thanks guys!
Many people jump to conclusions of vent gleet whenever feathers are dirty around the vent. It is a sign of runny droppings which can be caused by many things. If the bird has not been wormed, I'd worm her. Then run vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic dispersible powder in the waterers for 3 days. It is always a good idea to worm again in 10 days after the first worming. Check for mites/lice and treat if necessary. Let us know how things work out.

People usually use identification bands on legs in order to differentiate birds by age, etc.

So I did take a good look at her and it turns out it IS lice. I have treated them all and hope they will all feel better soon. Poor girls, must be awful. :(

What do you guys use for lice?
I use poultry dust from tractor supply for mites, maybe it is for lice too? Not sure I would have to read the container again.. I have been using it for such a long time I cant even remember. I use it when I clean their coop and sprinkle the tiniest bit where they dust bathe.
Also what do you use for dewormer? I have had chicken s for almost 4 years and have never dewormed them, or done anything other then use the poultry dust for mite.

I have a dusting powder for chickens and other animals that I use. I didn't use a dewormer since I noticed it was lice. Hopefully that stuf kills those bugs cause they are gross!!

What do you guys use for lice?
I use poultry dust from tractor supply for mites, maybe it is for lice too? Not sure I would have to read the container again.. I have been using it for such a long time I cant even remember. I use it when I clean their coop and sprinkle the tiniest bit where they dust bathe.
Also what do you use for dewormer? I have had chicken s for almost 4 years and have never dewormed them, or done anything other then use the poultry dust for mite.

Most dusting powders labeled for poultry, such as Prozap brand, contain permethrin. Sevin-5 powder is also used and contains carbaryl, which is more effective from what I've seen. Some of us prefer sprays to powders such as Permectrin II or Ravap EC. The practicality of sprays labeled for use on poultry, in addition to premise treatment, is what I prefer. If birds are suffering from a louse/mite infestation, it is best to remove all litter and dirt from the coop and nests, disinfect and let dry, then apply Permectrin or Ravap, paying attention to all sides of roosts, nest boxes, floors, walls, ceiling, cracks, and crevices in wood. Let dry and then add fresh pine shavings. Once that is finished, birds can have access to the coop again.

The population of intestinal worms, eggs, and their vectors depends upon environment and climate. Some people claim to never worm their birds, where others may find it is necessary to worm twice a year or more. Fenbendazole, Albendazole, Oxfendazole, Praziquantel, Pyrantel, Levimisole are all dewormers that are effective and safe so long as they are used correctly.

Last edited:
I always use the powder when I clean the coop as a preventative.and have never had problems. Its labeled as "garden and poultry"

I have yet to put it directly on any chickens. Just on the shavings a bit when I clean the coop.

Back
Top Bottom