dirty feet

quailss

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
I can't seem to get poo from the tip of 3 week coturnix toes. I've tried soaking their feet into warm water and pulling it out.

that's the only thing that works. Just be patient and work on it . I usually just stick the foot under running water and work on it as the water runs over the foot. be careful not to pull of the nail or toe tip.

Don't pull it off, you could pull off a nail or a toe. If it's just small bits of gunk on their toes, give them something hard to scratch on (brick, etc). If it's larger pieces (like balls on their toes) I use my pliers and 'pinch' it where their toe shouldn't be. Once you get it cleaned off one side of the toe the rest just pops right off.

When the dirt in my aviary gets wet, it clumps and hardens on their feet. (I try to keep the place very dry because of this). But what happens is that the dirt balls up on their feet and toes and becomes rock hard. No amount of water will soften the stuff. So if all else fails, I have had to take pliers and slowly crush the dirt on the feet. Usually once you break it slightly, it all falls off.

So if you have tried everything to get it off, and if you don't they could lose toes, you could try using pliers. However be VERY CAREFUL!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom