Dirty / Leaky Chicken Butt

TheRedFlamingo

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2023
I’ve been battling this chickens dirty bottom for a couple weeks now and I’m kind of at a loss. She’s received several epsom salt spa treatments. I originally thought maybe it was mites but her feathers are wet. She, and the rest of the flock have been through one round of treatment for worms (safeguard). We are set for the second round this weekend. She had this problem prior to the first round of worming.

I don’t think it’s fly strike since there are no open wounds and no maggots.

She’s currently enjoying another Epsom salt soak.

I can’t really find photos of anything that matches what I’m seeing. It’s almost like she’s leaking. I’ve also seen her have normal, solid (for a chicken) bowel movements.

She is active, not getting picked on, laying eggs, eating and drinking normally.

None of my other chickens are displaying anything similar.

Attachments

• 08015962-4B40-4E8F-8730-CCF9A1D63159.jpeg
    08015962-4B40-4E8F-8730-CCF9A1D63159.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 2F5EA708-83B0-4496-8814-45C565079E16.jpeg
    2F5EA708-83B0-4496-8814-45C565079E16.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 10
  • F3D3DE09-B720-4195-8EC5-D2B0266575E0.jpeg
    F3D3DE09-B720-4195-8EC5-D2B0266575E0.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 13
Hello,
I'm Sorry no one replied to your thread.
Have you tried cleaning her butt in warm water?
I'm no expert I really don't know what is going on with your bird or how to help. Hopefully some others will jump in and give you more info. That's is good she is eating and drinking.
I try to find unanswered threads and reply so others can help☺️

Hello,
I'm Sorry no one replied to your thread.
Have you tried cleaning her butt in warm water?
I'm no expert I really don't know what is going on with your bird or how to help. Hopefully some others will jump in and give you more info. That's is good she is eating and drinking.
I try to find unanswered threads and reply so others can help☺️
Thank you. I appreciate the bump. Yes, I’ve given her several epsom salt baths but this always seems to return.

I’m starting to lean toward vent gleet. My only hesitation is that it’s not the typical white color and it’s doesn’t really have an overly horrible or strong smell.

Thank you. I appreciate the bump. Yes, I’ve given her several epsom salt baths but this always seems to return.

I’m starting to lean toward vent gleet. My only hesitation is that it’s not the typical white color and it’s doesn’t really have an overly horrible or strong smell.
Hmmmmm... so hard to figure what is going on. It could possibly be vent gleet.
Have you seen her go poo?
What is her diet? Her butt fluff definitely doesn't look normal :hugs
with all that brown stuff on it😔 I hope some others can help!

Did you treat for worms because you know they had them, or just to cover the bases? What dose of Safeguard did you use? I ask because if you don't actually know what worm you are treating for, then the Safeguard should be dosed 5 days in a row. The two treatments 10 days apart only treats roundworm.
Can you part the feathers and get a clear picture of her vent? What do you feed, including all treats? How old is she and is she laying?

Back
Top Bottom