Dirty vent, excessive noise, monocolored feces

Doughpat

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
1) What type of bird , age and weight: Rhode Island Red hen, approximately 1.5 years old, unknown weight (appears "normal")

2) What is the behavior, exactly: THe feathers around her vent are caked with large clumps of feces, some feathers are missing. She also vocalizes much more than normal--a somewhat constant, low, brrock brrock brock brock....

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: No, other than the missing feathers

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: I have been on vacation for 2 weeks, during which time the chickens were cared for by my somewhat negligent neighbors (
sad.png
). It is possible that food and water may have been contaminated, or perhaps even empty for a period of time. Temperatures have been extremely high--up to 105 for one day.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: She eats a commercial organic layer food, I believe Purina. It has flax seed oil supplements.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.: Poop is a consistent color--a light brown. Seems to have no "white patch" like it usually does. Poop gathers/cakes on feathers surrounding vent.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? We tried washing her vent area with water--that didnt get the clots out. So we gave her feathers a trim to remove the larger clots of poop. I also gave her approximately 1 tablespoon of yogurt mixed with scratch. No improvement.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?: I would prefer to treat myself, though a vet is not out of the picture. I would be willing to take a fecal sample to a vet and administer medicine.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.: Will upload shortly.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use: White pine chips, approximately 3" deep. To be honest, they probably need to be changed as it has been a few weeks of buildup.

Thank you in advance for any advice...she's my first hen!

Ryan

A worm check by a vet would be a good idea, especially if you do not have her on a worming program. First, though, I would check for mites and lice. Do this at night. Look for tiny critters and tiny clumps of eggs, around the base of the feathers in the vent area, and along the feather shafts. You might also see them under wings or on the back of the neck.

To get her clean, stand/set her in a pan of warm water, not too deep, with just a little mild soap in it, and just sponge and soak til it comes off. Baby shampoo or an organic soap are fine.

Sounds like lice to me
sad0071.gif

After you bath her again, dust her with seven dust or permythium. I am having the same battle with 2 of mine. I started dusting everyday and will do so for a week or more until they are all gone!!!

Sounds like lice egg sacs to me too..I had one rooster who had lived wild in the woods for a long time before he came to me, and he brought lice with him..I treated him once, thinking that would take care of it, but it took forever for me to realise that what I thought was dried poop hanging off his vent feathers was actually lice sacs..I clipped them off and burned them up, treated him again, and he was finally free of them..

Ok....dusted her with "poultry dust" (essentially Sevin, i.e. Carbyl) and hoping for the best!

Also going to do a thorough cleaning of the coop tomorrow....

Do you think I need to re-apply the carbyl after a while?

Thank you all for your advice!
Ryan
Mcminnville, OR

Back
Top Bottom