disabled cat...it's getting worse...

PuppyBantamCochin

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
My (almost 13yrs old) cat has been deteriorating over the past couple months...and I wonder if he's enjoying life anymore...
sad.png

Micio has lived outside most of his life and has been a pretty tough kitty. He's been scratched up bad by foxes, dogs, etc...but has always survived. About 3months ago or so, I began to notice a slight change in his gait. Something like a wobble. Over time, it became more noticeable. Almost like his back legs would collapse and he'd fall over. Now, he's basically partially paralyzed in his back legs. I can pinch him between his toes and pinch his tail and he doesn't respond (if I did that to our other cat, she'd go crazy). That said, he still can retract his claws and he tries to scratch himself sometimes. While he lies around most of the day, he still enjoys being petted and some days I'll take him out and put him a special sling that helps him walk. He will try to put his back legs up and stand up, but there's something about his tail that prevents from being able to move his back legs properly... when he falls over on his back and can't get up by himself he gets really scared and tries to scratch. it's so sad
hit.gif
He tries dragging himself to the litter box everyday...although he doesn't always make it. He also has a little bit of head tilt....I don't think he's in pain..but I don't know....
we haven't taken him to the vet because we're not exactly in the best financial situation as it is...
I feel so bad for him...I wonder if I'm just making it worse by being afraid to let him go...
sad.png

f.v.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let him go! He most likely has thrown a clot to his abdominal aorta, blocking blood flow to his hind limbs. This is extremely painful, and frankly no way to live. The other thing with this is that he WILL throw another clot, it's just a matter of time, next time it could to somewhere that will kill him...fast, or very very slowly. I'm sorry if this is upsetting to hear, but you need to know the truth, and you need to do the right thing for your cat.
hugs.gif

Don't be afraid. Quality of life is everything for an animal. It will not be easy for you, but it's the most loving thing you can do for him at this point.

You have to make the final call, but I think it's time. It's one of the hardest yet most necessary thing we must do for the animals we care for.
hugs.gif

When we make the decision to care for a pet, we usually don't think of them as a tragedy at some point in our lifetime, but it is likely they will be. It is part of the whole of loving an animal. You don't want your kitty to suffer. You have to do the right thing, no matter how hard it seems. It is the final loving thing you can do for your pet...

I'm so sorry that your cat is having such severe problems. It sounds like he is still enjoying some parts of his life, but other parts are bad for him. It's hard when you know it will only continue to get worse. I'm glad he has had someone to love him and care for him all these years. You are trying to decide what is best for him, not for you. You can't love an animal more than that.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom