Disabled Chickens Forum

A thread won't work for us - we have completely different needs for our chickens and need to have a forum for the functionality required. Threads are so wonky and time-consuming.
I see a few problems. A forum section for disabled chickens is likely to attract a lot of people who just have sick, or chickens with temporary disabilities.
Who and how would such a forum section be moderated and by what criteria would one judge what is a disabiity and what is an injury, or sickness.

A thread can work, but it's a lot of work and getting people to moderate what they post can take a bit of imagination and persistance. Just trying to keep a thread mainly related to chickens is difficult enough.

If you're prepared to contribute to the thread on a daily basis and encourage people to stay on topic (it's work, believe me) then have a go at it.

I see a few problems. A forum section for disabled chickens is likely to attract a lot of people who just have sick, or chickens with temporary disabilities.
Who and how would such a forum section be moderated and by what criteria would one judge what is a disabiity and what is an injury, or sickness.

A thread can work, but it's a lot of work and getting people to moderate what they post can take a bit of imagination and persistance. Just trying to keep a thread mainly related to chickens is difficult enough.

If you're prepared to contribute to the thread on a daily basis and encourage people to stay on topic (it's work, believe me) then have a go at it.
I tagged you because you have been extremely successful with your thread. So, thank you for your input.

As far as the forum attracting people who have sick chickens; we deal with people posting in the wrong place all of the time. I would just redirect them.

As far as a disability, I think it is fair to judge the criteria the same as the ADA does for people. "has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities" The ADA go defines major life activities as:
  • Actions like eating, sleeping, speaking, and breathing
  • Movements like walking, standing, lifting, and bending
  • Cognitive functions like thinking and concentrating
  • Sensory functions like seeing and hearing
  • Tasks like working, reading, learning, and communicating
  • The operation of major bodily functions like circulation, reproduction, and individual organs
Of course, adapted to fit a bird's life.

I tagged you because you have been extremely successful with your thread. So, thank you for your input.

As far as the forum attracting people who have sick chickens; we deal with people posting in the wrong place all of the time. I would just redirect them.

As far as a disability, I think it is fair to judge the criteria the same as the ADA does for people. "has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities" The ADA go defines major life activities as:
  • Actions like eating, sleeping, speaking, and breathing
  • Movements like walking, standing, lifting, and bending
  • Cognitive functions like thinking and concentrating
  • Sensory functions like seeing and hearing
  • Tasks like working, reading, learning, and communicating
  • The operation of major bodily functions like circulation, reproduction, and individual organs
Of course, adapted to fit a bird's life.
I've been extremely lucky. I have a group of interesting and knowledgeable contributors who understand that the thread is primarily about chickens and despite the occasional drift, keep on topic. There is of course the dreaded tax system, a wonderful idea I'm indebted to By Bob for letting me borrow. Thread speed is something that needs to be controlled if one can. A few one liners are fine, but thread subscribers do get bored of reading one after another, page after page. It becomes a bit daunting to log on and find one has 10 pages of not much on topic to wade through. I set my thread up as a diary. I try to post every day, with pictures, don't forget the pictures! and a bit about that day. Every now and then I have a bit of a rant which thankfully most tolerate with good grace. So, perhaps a diary format might work for you. People will see your commitment to your chickens and to the thread and hopefully join in. I know people tag others to participate in newly started threads, but I found after awhile those who were interested in the topic, either out of curiosity or experience turn up after a while. One other suggestion is to have if you can studied and thread and article links at hand relevant to the topic. Believe it or not some people like reading them.

Who's going to monitor what belongs in the Disabled forum and what belongs in the Emergency forum?
I've already seen posts that can be answered in the Emergency forum.
Everything will be a disability from a limping hen to a MG/MS infected flock.
Keep everything in the Emergency forum where it belongs. You'll get more responses.

Who's going to monitor what belongs in the Disabled forum and what belongs in the Emergency forum?
Keep everything in the Emergency forum where it belongs. You'll get more responses.
I can see that.

I was really thinking something like this would be for after visiting the Emergency Forum. More about long term disabilities and how to accommodate these birds long term. We all often redirect posts to appropriate forums to be helpful.

A disabilities forum would also let people know that sometimes, if you are willing to help them, some birds can be great pets. It could show possibilities for disabled birds and that all may not have to be culled.

It would also show how much work you have to put into it realistically. This could help people decide what is right for them and their flock.

This site has been a blessing to me and my flock. This is just something I feel could be helpful.

I wanted to take a moment to address the requests for a dedicated forum specifically for disabled chicken threads. After careful consideration, the staff has decided not to create a separate forum for this topic. We understand that there are many members who have special needs birds and value the conversations surrounding their care.

Instead, we encourage you to continue sharing your experiences, stories, and questions in the appropriate existing forums, such as "Managing Your Flock" or "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures." These forums already serve as valuable places for discussions about the care, support, and management of chickens with special needs.

Please remember that our community is here to support and help one another. Many members have shared valuable insights and advice in the past, and we encourage you to engage in those conversations to find the information you need or to offer your own experiences.

Thank you for understanding our decision. We appreciate your ongoing contributions to the community.

Do you have a disabled chicken or bird @dawg53? If you did, you would know that it is not an emergency or a disease or a symptom; it is a way of life.

Last edited:
I've been extremely lucky. I have a group of interesting and knowledgeable contributors who understand that the thread is primarily about chickens and despite the occasional drift, keep on topic. There is of course the dreaded tax system, a wonderful idea I'm indebted to By Bob for letting me borrow. Thread speed is something that needs to be controlled if one can. A few one liners are fine, but thread subscribers do get bored of reading one after another, page after page. It becomes a bit daunting to log on and find one has 10 pages of not much on topic to wade through. I set my thread up as a diary. I try to post every day, with pictures, don't forget the pictures! and a bit about that day. Every now and then I have a bit of a rant which thankfully most tolerate with good grace. So, perhaps a diary format might work for you. People will see your commitment to your chickens and to the thread and hopefully join in. I know people tag others to participate in newly started threads, but I found after awhile those who were interested in the topic, either out of curiosity or experience turn up after a while. One other suggestion is to have if you can studied and thread and article links at hand relevant to the topic. Believe it or not some people like reading them.
You are being humble. You put in the work - take the compliment.

Back
Top Bottom