Disapointing egg size (jersey Giants)

Quote:
Mine lay a light brown egg. Bad news though. My young splash hens have started eathign the eggs I get before I get them out of the coop! They have caused a frienzy in the coop now and I might have to get rid of the lot of them. I can't stand egg eaters!!
somad.gif

Quote:
yea JGs arent even finished growing till 2 or 3. they are a very slow maturing breed. Their egg size will get bigger when they get older.

Quote:
Which is why I want to get rid of mine but it seems you can't give them away. They eat like horses, too.

ill take them lol......maybe....im not far from you tho

Quote:
sounds like soup!

this is my first year with JG so, can't say much more than they are slow growers (like Brahmas) & I only have one!

just reaffirming what has been said!

I honestly haven't noticed Brahmas eating any more than my rocks or EEs!

wee.gif
they do forage well & I don't feed in spring & summer!

I love my JG's and at just under a year old they are giving me about the same size egg as my Giant Cochins. Not Jumbo yet but a decent size. I don't see any big difference in feeding yet either . They are very docile and my young roo is very tall but a serama can push him around. LOL. Mine are also pretty consistent layers even between cold snaps. I have black, white and soon to introduce my blue roo.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Awww...it sounds like something that you'd see on a cartoon show!

Suzy

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom