Disappointment

Next time, specifically order meat birds from your farm and ranch store. With your name on them. They won't expose them to the public, and you will get what you want. People mix those bins up.

I DO have cornish cross birds, and just did 3 at 6.5 weeks, and they are beautiful birds. I have found, that I like to do a few at a time, and the let the smaller ones grow up a bit without the competition.

Mrs K

Yep that is most definitely the plan next time to order directly! We spent the afternoon setting up for these 5 we have left to survive and be well cared for like our other 10 hens while we are out of town lol and when we get back if no one has decided they want to adopt some of ours we will spend a week in July expanding our run 🤣 the whole situation is comical. A year ago we started our chickens journey. 6 hens, that's all that was in the plans....here we are a year later and we have 15 lol indoor coop part is 7x12 so we are getting close to what I would consider max capacity but for now we should be good 😁

Attachments

• 20210522_143004.jpg
    20210522_143004.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 22
My suspicion really started when they started flying up 4 feet onto the window sill to roost. Ive never done meat birds but I knew that was not normal for 8 week old meat birds lol🤣🤣
I've never seen a Cornish X leave the ground under its own power. Mine couldn't even hop onto a 10" tall step to get into a coop- I had to build a ramp specially for them, and it was hysterical to watch a string of CX's waddle up the thing at night. The next morning, they were always first in line to push their way out the door for the feeder, though. That was the only time I saw them excited enough to move quickly.

I had the exact same problem with chicks from TSC. Got 10 chicks, label said cornish. This was my first experience with meat birds. Was very surprised with their behavior, they acted nothing like I had heard meat birds act.
AT 8 weeks it was obvious that they were not cornish!!! I took some pictures and showed them to TSC service desk, they confirmed they were not cornish and most likely White Leghorn. They offered me 10 more cornish chicks free. I didn't want to start all over again but I did want to try out meat birds before I took down my coop/run setup. So I took the 10 new chicks and put an add on CL for 8wk old WLH pullets and got rid of them in one day. Got enough to cover my chick and feed costs plus a little more.
Because of being able to get rid of the pullets on CL, if i have enough feed to finish my chicks, I'll end up with the meat birds costing about $4/ea. It's a pain having to raise chicks for 16wks but we're almost done so it's ok in the end.

Because of being able to get rid of the pullets on CL, if i have enough feed to finish my chicks, I'll end up with the meat birds costing about $4/ea. It's a pain having to raise chicks for 16wks but we're almost done so it's ok in the end.
I only keep meat birds for 6-8 weeks. I cant imagine what they would be like by 16 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom