Discourage in Alaska!

shabbychix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
I went on a friend's advice and bought Buckeye chicks in the spring of last year. I researched them and found nothing but great info regarding this breed and cold weather. Pea combs, tight-knit feathers, low incidence of pecking. What happened is pretty much the opposite of what I expected.

I built a quality hen house. 2x8 construction and insulation. 1/2 " chicken wire under the floor to keep out predators, 6 nesting boxes, 4 roosting poles, 18 inches apart. A sandbox (for bathing) and of course food and water. Also a large suet-holder (2) that I hung from the ceiling and put cabbage or lettuce/apples (whatever), that they could peck at on a daily basis, to prevent boredom.

The MINUTE it was above 25 degrees I let them outside. Still, they were totally in lock-down from Nov through April. People around here said it was the longest winter they could remember but still. That's the way it was. 6 months without going outside. The coop has 2 windows designed to catch any minute amount of sunshine shining that day. And sometimes that is only 3-4 hours per day, here. But I ran a regular 100 watt lightbulb during the day for 8 hours and an infrared heatlamp at night when it was below -30. Which was most of the winter. We went many weeks -30 - -60 below. Mind you, I live off-grid, so all this light originates from a gas powered generator.

Several died - one pecked on her back quarters . . probably after death but still, bloody. About 1/2 way through the winter I had a friend sit with me in the coop, watching to see who the "peckers" were. 5 stood out and we had a neighbor slaughter them the next day. These birds were actively picking the feathers out of their friends and eating them. Things kind of mellowed out after that but , although there was not much blood (and when there was I put this black stuff on them) they continued to pick the feathers out of each other. Well, spring came and I had a flock of half-naked hens. The worst ones I brought into my laundry room, in a dog kennel, until their feathers grew back somewhat.

Even now, in July, I have "recovering" hens. Most are pecked on their heads, backs and bottoms. Feathers are growing back and the pecking has stopped. Most are sunburned on their bare skin. Also, most are molting. Hard to tell.

Several hens have just died. Reason eludes me. 2 died in the nest boxes. One on the floor. My friend thinks their hearts just gave out. Winter stress. When I think about being cooped up with "killer chickens", yes, that would be stressful.

My point is that everything I have researched and heard says that this breed, Buckeyes, is a gentle breed and hardy breed.

Just recently, I read a post from a chicken person that said that Buckeyes do not like confinement. Well, that says it all to me. They may be wonderful chickens but we are talking 6 months (1/2 of a year) without going outside. If I had read that post, I would never have even tried to put them through an Alaskan winter.

I am sad.

Hey, you tried right? Don't be too sad.

Out of interest though, how big is your coop and how many birds? Do they have at least 10 sq feet each? A guide of space is 4sq feet per bird inside, and 10sq feet outside, so each has a min of 14 sq feet of space. Some breeds and some even lines of birds do worse in confinement than others.

Speaking of confinement, I had three 4 week old sexlinks in a transport box that managed to bloody each other in a 5 hour trip home... In that very same box the year prior, I was delayed on traveling and had 4 leghorns LIVING in that small box from 4-5 weeks old without any issues!

I know leghorns are probably not going to work out too well for you due to their large combs, BUT, if any breed of bird has been bred for complete confinement, it would be the white leghorn. You may consider looking into dubbing your leghorns although the process of dubbing is often controversial, but in your case, would have a heath and well being justification.

Another thought is, if your remaining birds are still picking on each other, you may consider looking into "pinless peepers" to prevent picking .

Good luck, don't give up and keep your spirits up!

Greetings from Kansas, shabbychix, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Sorry about your bad experience with your Buckeyes. I have no experience with the breed so I'm not the person to ask. There is a Buckeye thread in the link below if you would like to speak with some owners of the breed. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/breeds-genetics-showing

welcome-byc.gif
You could go to "where am I, where are you," to locate and post on your state thread. Maybe you can find others from your area who can tell you from personal experience, which breeds do the best in your climate. It's not your fault. There is cold and then there is ALASKAN COLD, there in lies the difference.

I've lived in the Midwest all my life, and we have had, what WE regarded as some brutal winters . Then chicken folks, like you, have told us what their winter is like- I can't even imagine how humans survive that.

I hope you get pointed to a breed that will do better in your area,

Thank you ALL, who responded to my post. What a friendly group!
Happily, Chix seem to be doing ok. Most are molting and I hope this makes them grow feathers back FASTER?? Some are still half-naked, but only a few.

The ones who are aggressive or/and don't have proper featherage (I like to make up my own words, in a pinch) will have to go into the pot as they would never make it through winter anyway.

Regarding having 10 sq. ft per chicken. No, I definitely do not have that much room. Advice from locals - and online - was at least 4 sq ft per chicken. From the local population it is definitely for "keeping warm" purposes. I can see that perhaps Buckeyes need the increased square footage. But then, keeping them above freezing, which is what I try to do - with no electricity is a daunting, and expensive prospect with gas (for my generator) at $5/gal where I live. Maybe they need their own woodstove! If I put it outside the coop and just piped in the heat, hmmm. No. Well, unless I find an industrious man to help out with wood cutting, that won't be happenin'.

I have been talking to the few locals who have chickens and there doesn't seem to be one breed that's good for the winter confinement as it is usually a combo of different types of chickens in each flock. Maybe that's the secret!

I am actually thinking about keeping just a few over the winter, building a little box type insulated room attached to the house - and using a battery operated fan to blow warm air from the house into the coop. Any opinions/ideas for that idea? Chickens living in tight quarters is pretty normal, here.

Yah (Creator God) bless you all!

Welcome to BYC. I think that your best advice will come from other folks in Alaska who maintain birds under the same conditions. Good luck. Confinement and boredom cause many bad habits in poultry.

Back
Top Bottom