Discourged Americana's 32 weeks still no eggs

Dave W21

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Woods Cross, Utah
I have 2 Americana's 32 weeks and no eggs yet. Their run is 2000 sq feet.
4 other hens. Coop is 4 ft off the ground a 4x4x4 with 3 nesting boxes.
I clean it every week.
I spoil my chicken they live at the hen house hilton. Every other hen lays like a champ these Americanas notta. I'm discouraged. Any thoughts 32 weeks come on free loaders.

Hi Dave,

I've heard that chickens may not lay until they get about 14 hours of daylight (Spring) unless they were laying already. Some of my older ones have stopped for the winter or have cut back their egg production drastically. My youngsters are 24 weeks and I'm still waiting on their first egg.

Are their combs red and are they squatting for you?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree it could be a lack of daylight hours causing your delayed egg production. If they are close to point of lay do you have them on a layer feed now? You can also pop over to the egg laying section. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying
I'm sure other members could shed more light for you.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

I don't blame you, I would have thought they'd start laying before such a shortening of daylight hours. Are you certain they are all pullets?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

I agree with drumstick diva's reply. The latest I have heard of is 24 weeks of age to start laying.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us.

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Feel free to post pics so we can help determine if you, indeed, have pullets and not cockerels. If they are in fact pullets, then most likely the shortening of daylight is responsible for their delayed onset of lay.

welcome-byc.gif

If you are sure you don't have cockerels I hope you get eggs soon. They aren't by any chance molting are they?

I have 2 Americana's 32 weeks and no eggs yet. Their run is 2000 sq feet.
4 other hens. Coop is 4 ft off the ground a 4x4x4 with 3 nesting boxes.
I clean it every week.
I spoil my chicken they live at the hen house hilton. Every other hen lays like a champ these Americanas notta. I'm discouraged. Any thoughts 32 weeks come on free loaders.
yuckyuck.gif

Alright Dave,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

I have had some of the EE chickens take some time to produce some eggs and one hen took as long as a year but I finally sold her as a excellent EE hen will be producing in as little as 20 weeks and if left alone will do 6 eggs a week ......

Hi Dave
frow.gif
Welcome to BYC! I have a Welsummer that is 34 weeks and still no egg. I believe she is going thru a mild molt right now so that is adding time on. She is one of my favorite girls so if she lays, she lays, if not, oh well.

Back
Top Bottom