Disease keeps coming back

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
I have some kind of disease in my flock, probably a bacterial infection. The biggest sign is that the infected hens start laying soft-shelled or shell-less eggs, usually on the droppings board at night after a day of nesting activity (with no egg produced) Then they become lethargic, tired, lose weight, and eventually death. They also have diarrhea. I've had one death so far, two other birds have shown signs since then. Disease responds to antibiotic but comes back after treatment stops.

I came to the conclusion that it may be worms, and after treating them with ivermectin they seemed to improve a bit (maybe it was just my imagination) but now they're sick again.

How do I proceed from here?

EDIT: treated them with Sulfadimethoxine and then when that didn't get rid of it, Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride. They responded to both. I know it isn't good to randomly medicate but I was desperate-

Last edited:
Bump. Worried this Buff Orpington might not last much longer and I need an answer as quick as possible. Also, the local vet will see chickens but knows little about them.

Ivermectin will not work for an internal wormer. Most internal worms have become immune to this stuff.

You will need to use something like Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer or Valbazen to worm your birds.

Ivermectin will not work for an internal wormer. Most internal worms have become immune to this stuff.

You will need to use something like Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer or Valbazen to worm your birds.

Do you think worms are likely? I don't see any in their droppings.

Also, would worms respond to the antibiotics I used? Not that I would use them again, but I'm curious if that would rule them out or not.

Last edited:
You don't always see worms in poop. Many of them can be microscopic. Round worms are in all soil all around the globe. So it is always a possibility your birds do have a worm infestation. If you keep your facilities clean, worms are more likely than an internal bacterial infection that is killing them. I will worm just to rule it out if I have sick birds. And especially if you haven't wormed in a while or never have, it might be a good idea to worm and if it doesn't heal them, at least you can rule it out.

Most bacterial infections take the form of respiratory diseases. E.coli happens, which is bacterial and is naturally in their guts on a daily basis, but as long as you are fairly clean, the E.coli shouldn't over populate and kill them.

I would try worming them first. Worms will cause thin and shelless eggs. So will Coccidiosis. Corid would be my next step if the worming didn't work. I doubt your issue is bacterial, especially if you have tried antibacterial drugs in the past.

And know that I reread your first post, you mentioned seeing improvement with Sulfadimethoxine?? If you really think you did see improvement, this tells me you probably have Coccidosis in your flock. Sulfadimethoxine will kill SOME strains of cocci, but not all of them. The fact that ALL of your birds are going pale, thin, have diarrhea and dying...I am now thinking Coccidosis. Get yourself some Corid at the feed store. 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water for 7 days. Change and make a new batch daily. This is only a thiamine blocker. Cocci need this to stay alive and reproduce. Thiamine is blocked and the cocci die. Are you seeing any blood or mucus in the poop at all? If so, you do have a Coccidiosis issue on your hands. Either this or worms.

Good luck! You should see improvement in the next 3 days. Do not give vitamins during this time.

I know this might be a stupid question, but I treated them with the Ivermectin recently. The Corid won't conflict with this, will it? I always get nervous mixing medications.

No, the Corid will have no effects or conflicting issues with the Ivermectin. Again, the Corid is only a thiamine blocker. It is fairly harmless if used as directed and is safe enough there is no egg withdrawal either. So go ahead and get it started. It works pretty fast and you should stop seeing deaths by day 3. Keep using it up to 7 days. The average dosage is 5 to 7 days. But since you are losing birds now, I would go 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom