Disgusting injury questions..Warning ..

kimmom

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Our 4 year old silkie was acting off and she has been in the hutch with the others recovering from coccidiosis so we assumed it was from that, today we noticed some blood on her back end near her vent. With a close look there were maggots and small worm (fly larvae I assume) crawling out and around an injury wound. Must have been a spur puncture or something from a rooster.. I cut some feathers back, dusted her with the dusting powder for lice etc and put on blue spray. I didn't dig right in to the would to clean it out yet though.. I am going to put her on antibiotics in her water. What else can I do? Anything I can do to kill/ smother the larvae? She is still up eating and drinking..

Our 4 year old silkie was acting off and she has been in the hutch with the others recovering from coccidiosis so we assumed it was from that, today we noticed some blood on her back end near her vent. With a close look there were maggots and small worm (fly larvae I assume) crawling out and around an injury wound. Must have been a spur puncture or something from a rooster.. I cut some feathers back, dusted her with the dusting powder for lice etc and put on blue spray. I didn't dig right in to the would to clean it out yet though.. I am going to put her on antibiotics in her water. What else can I do? Anything I can do to kill/ smother the larvae? She is still up eating and drinking..
You have to remove all the maggots immediately,they do eat flesh,and can carry diseases. Pick them out one by one if you have to(tweezers help). Flush under running water,then i would rinse with a peroxide solution,put antibiotic ointment on wound(nothing ending in "caine"toxic to chickens) DO NOT cover wound(any remaining maggots will be trapped)let it air out.

Back
Top Bottom