disinfecting an old coop???

partimer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
hmm.png
I have acquired an old chicken house or coop on some property purchased. The old coop will be whitewashed on the exterior and possibly inside. My concern is what do I use to totally disinfect the entire coop for fleas and mites , all the little critters. Homemade stuff is ok with me, or commercial pesticide if necessary. In about four weeks I will be putting in about 53 babies if they all make it, so far so good, going on a week. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I'd wash the inside with diluted CLOROX, then I'd paint with Kilz and then another washable paint on top of that.... roosts, nest boxes, walls etc..

Probably wouldn't hurt the floor to have a thin soaking in a clorox solution for an hour or so.

I would do as Mahonri suggested, but when done, I would set off a bug bomb to get the left over survivors. Air it out well before you put chickens in it.

Rufus

I did a lime wash on mine, supposed to kill mites that hide in corners. Don't know if it works yet since I have only had the chicks in it a few weeks.

I might do the Clorox thing, but if it has been inactive for a few years, I probably would not worry much about it.

Oxine is a good disinfectant, I read.

I would certainly use medicated chick feed, though, as cocci are no doubt present in the soil.

Hate to disagree with Mahroni, but no Kilz for this kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
:)Hey folks, many thanx for quick replies; I do like clorox, and the old solution of whitewash, which is still used in many countries. Here, we tend not to be too old fashion. I suppose a good spraying of the ground with the Clorox would be a good idea, some will soak in and deter any diseases.
Waiting to go on the egg hunt.
roll.png
LOVE this site; BYC for me.

Back
Top Bottom