Dislocated hips or splayed legs?

Justin707

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Hello all,

Once again I'm hoping to benefit from the wisdom of people with more quail experience than me. On Sunday one of my three Japanese quail chicks developed trouble walking. It is 1.5 weeks old and has had no trouble with splayed hips or any other issues/abnormalities (that I could see) up to that point.

Since Sunday, the chick has not been able to walk properly- its chest is always low to the ground, and its wings are always slightly outstretched. The hips are spread out wide, but the feet appear to be normally spaced apart and when it tries to walk it more or less only manages to stamp in place, sometimes stumbling in one direction.

I've searched the internet but haven't been able to find any information on this issue, possibly because I don't know exactly what to search for. My best guess is that it's one of three problems.
1. Maybe it developed splayed legs (is that possible at 1.5 weeks old?)
2. It may have suffered a traumatic brain injury by jumping and hitting its head and now doesn't know how to walk, because it can still eat, drink and preen normally. There is a mesh covering the roof of the brooder box but maybe it bonked its head on the heat lamp just above this.
3. Maybe another chick jumped and landed on it, injuring its back.

I've included some photos. I haven't been able to find any posts or photos that seem to show the same problem, but I apologize if this issue has already been addressed in the forums. Any advice/instruction is welcome!

Kind regards
Quail chick side view.jpg
Quail chick rear view 3.jpg

Quail chick rear view.jpg
Quail chick top view.jpg
Quail chick rear view 2.jpg

It doesn't look like splay leg. If the top of your brooder is mesh, it's not likely to be a head injury from flushing either.

What are you feeding them? Are any of your other chicks showing any symptoms?

I would start by separating this one out so you can observe it carefully. If it doesn't begin to recover in the next day or two, I would cull, but that's your choice.

Is a vet an option?

Are they flying around now? It's possible it flew up and landed funny. I had one that shuffled around on its wings for a week then started walking normally again. If it's eating and drinking I'd leave it in there and wait a few more days before culling.

What are you feeding them. I’ve had birds that are sensitive to nutrient imbalances, if you feed too many snacks they may not get enough of the nutrients formulated into the feed. Some feeds just were lacking and when I switched to feeds with seemingly similar ingredients, the one or 2 affected birds regained their balance and control, and I think it was because they ignored the crumbs and only ate the big pieces and maybe the powder and crumbs had a high concentration of what they needed, or they were dusted with nutrients after pelleting, and once packaged the powder collected at the bottom of the bag. Before giving up I would consider looking into a different feed, maybe a small bag to try.

It doesn't look like splay leg. If the top of your brooder is mesh, it's not likely to be a head injury from flushing either.

What are you feeding them? Are any of your other chicks showing any symptoms?

I would start by separating this one out so you can observe it carefully. If it doesn't begin to recover in the next day or two, I would cull, but that's your choice.

Is a vet an option?
I have two other chicks, but they're not exhibiting any symptoms. Since their birth (they're 2 weeks old today) I've had them on a premium gamebird starter, and their water has a vitamin & mineral supplement.

I separated the chick from the other two, just in case it was something that was transmissible, and so far they're all good. I've considered taking the "injured" chick to the vet, my main concern was keeping it warm as it would be out from under the heat lamp.

Are they flying around now? It's possible it flew up and landed funny. I had one that shuffled around on its wings for a week then started walking normally again. If it's eating and drinking I'd leave it in there and wait a few more days before culling.
Good to know, thanks. It sounds similar to what you dealt with, and it's still eating and drinking, albiet with difficulty moving around while doing so. I think I will leave it a few more days and see how it goes.

What are you feeding them. I’ve had birds that are sensitive to nutrient imbalances, if you feed too many snacks they may not get enough of the nutrients formulated into the feed. Some feeds just were lacking and when I switched to feeds with seemingly similar ingredients, the one or 2 affected birds regained their balance and control, and I think it was because they ignored the crumbs and only ate the big pieces and maybe the powder and crumbs had a high concentration of what they needed, or they were dusted with nutrients after pelleting, and once packaged the powder collected at the bottom of the bag. Before giving up I would consider looking into a different feed, maybe a small bag to try.
Thanks, I think I'll try that. The other two chicks seem healthy, but I'll try giving this one more of the powdered food and look into a different feed when I get the chance.

I have two other chicks, but they're not exhibiting any symptoms. Since their birth (they're 2 weeks old today) I've had them on a premium gamebird starter, and their water has a vitamin & mineral supplement.

I separated the chick from the other two, just in case it was something that was transmissible, and so far they're all good. I've considered taking the "injured" chick to the vet, my main concern was keeping it warm as it would be out from under the heat lamp.
I would stop the vitamin and mineral supplement in the water. A good game bird starter has everything they need, and the extras can cause a nutritional imbalance, which might cause these symptoms.

The separated chick should have its own heat lamp. Keeping it warm is very important.

Thanks Nabiki and 007Sean, if it is a food issue that would be easy to fix. All three chicks are on the same game bird starter, which is 24% protein. The isolated chick has its own heat lamp so I'll be sure to keep it warm.

I will make the changes and observe, see how it goes over the next few days. It would be good if it were a dietary issue rather than neurological so I don't have to cull, but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom