Distended abdomen, floppy comb, vent gleet

dirtylittlefly

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Vancouver, WA
Hello, one of my 8 year old birds died this morning. I had treated my 2 old birds for vent gleet by cleaning their bums and giving probiotics and vitamins in their water. They still has some dirty feathers I was planning on cleaning again. I got Isabel cleaned up again today and applied hydrocortisone cream around the vent. Inside the vent looks red and moist.... I think In a normal way and the outside looks healthy. Her abdomen is more distended than the last time I washed her, which now I’m thinking is a sign of illness rather than being over weight. It’s really disproportionate to the rest of her size, though she has always been a large French Black Copper Marans. She stopped laying 2 weeks ago. Any tips to save my bird? I’ve heard antibiotics are bad for gleet, but I wonder if something else is going on. I Don’t have access to a vet and Nystatin. I’ve given Monistat orally for sour crop before, could that help? Any other signs I should check for for parasites is helpful too.

I have younger birds too but my 2 older hens I were treating have their own coop and run, though the young ones can walk next to it. Thanks for the help!

It would be helpful to know what killed your first bird. It could have been related to age.
Sending a bird off for necropsy can do wonders for determining your next move.

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Bustad Hall, Rm 155-N
Pullman, Washington 99164-7034
Phone: 509-335-9696

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory,
Avian Health and Food Safety Laboratory, Puyallup
2607 W Pioneer
Puyallup, WA 98371-4919
Phone 253-445-4537

You are right. Vent gleet is normally a problem with gut micro biome. Antibiotics further exacerbates the problem.

She’s been dead for a couple days now....maggots have already set in. Not sure if necropsy would be worth the $$$ with the decomposition that’s already started... unfortunately. I do appreciate the recommendation.

After researching a bit more it seems like it may be EYP?

She’s been dead for a couple days now....maggots have already set in. Not sure if necropsy would be worth the $$$ with the decomposition that’s already started... unfortunately. I do appreciate the recommendation.

After researching a bit more it seems like it may be EYP?
What is EYP?

Back
Top Bottom