Divet hole in leg/mites?

You would need to have a vet look at it or send a picture to your nearest vet college for confirmation, but that looks like some pictures of squamous cell cancer. I would clean it out with chlorhexidene or Betadine, and note if there is any pus inside it in case of an abscess, but it looks suspicious to me. Here is an internet picture of squamous cell carcinoma, and note the pitted appearance of the skin:
https://sunnysideupfarmhome.files.w...s-on-head-kandi-gaffney3.jpg?strip=info&w=427
I agree that it could be cancer.

Old thread from 2018, I've learned lots since then, but take a look at the photos. Not quite the same, but worth checking out.
I do think that cleaning it and applying some ointment wouldn't hurt.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-leg-injury-plus-leg-mites.1215397/page-3

Also, could be wrong...I think Carol (@azygous ) is or had been dealing with something similar on her rooster's leg. Hopefully she can chime in with her thoughts.

It looks identical to the lesion on my rooster's leg I've been battling for nearly one year with no resolution at all. I've thrown at it every antibiotic, steroids, cortisone cream, antibiotic ointment, debriding, and assorted herbal remedies along with ibuprofen and aspirin. Nothing has helped. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lastic-tumor-update-injury-not-tumor.1543307/ Compare your pics to mine.

I originally suspected a neoplastic tumor associated with the leucosis virus and now I am all but certain that it's a skin cancer. It is getting larger, but my rooster still has no problem walking. It does seem to cause him discomfort as he regularly shakes his leg as if trying to shake off the pain.

Last edited:
It looks identical to the lesion on my rooster's leg I've been battling for nearly one year with no resolution at all. I've thrown at it every antibiotic, steroids, cortisone cream, antibiotic ointment, debriding, and assorted herbal remedies along with ibuprofen and aspirin. Nothing has helped. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lastic-tumor-update-injury-not-tumor.1543307/ Compare your pics to mine.

I originally suspected a neoplastic tumor associated with the leucosis virus and now I am all but certain that it's a skin cancer. It is getting larger, but my rooster still has no problem walking. It does seem to cause him discomfort as he regularly shakes his leg as if trying to shake off the pain.
Wow,those do look alike. I think mine is a bit deeper of a dimple. Thank you for sharing all that you have tried. What a pain for you both. I wonder if the vet would be able to diagnose what it is. He just turned 6 years old, is your rooster very old? He is very handsome.
I had never heard of cancer in chickens other than reproductive stuff but It makes sense.
You mentioned him shaking his leg and I think I noticed that too. It's a very slow lift and extension of the leg if that makes sense, as if it's uncomfortable maybe.
Here's a picture of him singing.

Attachments

• P1030433.JPG
    P1030433.JPG
    893.1 KB · Views: 2
I have been treating my rooster for leg mites by gently washing and covering with Vaseline when I noticed both legs have some yellow gold skin. But one leg definitely has a large divet. Has anyone seen this and know what to do for it? He does seem to be walking fine. Thanks!
This looks as if self inflicted by his overgrown spurs.
Unless you trim the spurs really short this cannot heal as with every step he takes it will be scraped open again.

My rooster is around six years, not old by my flock standards where chickens reach twelve, thirteen, fourteen years.

His lesion is twice as large as what has been pictured in my thread. It's another reason I believe it's a cancer lesion.

When I discovered it a year ago, it was bloody and I assumed it was an injury. Now I believe the cancer was growing on the leg and then he injured it. Whenever I treated it as an injury, debriding, etc, there has never been any sign of pus, just a thin black scab in the center, surrounded by raised tissue that has now expanded beyond what it was a year ago when I first discovered it.

My flock has the leucosis virus. This is what I suspect is the source of this tumor.

I agree that it could be cancer.

Old thread from 2018, I've learned lots since then, but take a look at the photos. Not quite the same, but worth checking out.
I do think that cleaning it and applying some ointment wouldn't hurt.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-leg-injury-plus-leg-mites.1215397/page-3

Also, could be wrong...I think Carol (@azygous ) is or had been dealing with something similar on her rooster's leg. Hopefully she can chime in with her thoughts.
The link you have shows the exact same wound as my roosters and @azygous. They said the vet diagnosed with cancer. So now I'm wondering how they diagnose, by looking or testing? I replied to the old thread but not sure if it will be seen. I sure appreciate all the info. Seems we're never done learning about our chickens.

My rooster is around six years, not old by my flock standards where chickens reach twelve, thirteen, fourteen years.

His lesion is twice as large as what has been pictured in my thread. It's another reason I believe it's a cancer lesion.

When I discovered it a year ago, it was bloody and I assumed it was an injury. Now I believe the cancer was growing on the leg and then he injured it. Whenever I treated it as an injury, debriding, etc, there has never been any sign of pus, just a thin black scab in the center, surrounded by raised tissue that has now expanded beyond what it was a year ago when I first discovered it.

My flock has the leucosis virus. This is what I suspect is the source of this tumor.
I agree on flock age. His mom is doing well at 9.
How did you learn they had the leucosis virus?

Many years ago I was hatching chicks from eggs my hens laid and my roosters fertilized. Early on, I was seeing these chickens become sick before they had reached one year. One of these was an eleven-month old cockerel. He became sick and was having trouble breathing. When he became sicker instead of improving with treatment, I euthanized him and had a lab do a necropsy.

When dissection exposed a two-pound liver riddled with tumors, it produced a diagnosis of lymphoid leucosis. Since then, I've had another chicken necropsied and got the same diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom