Divet hole in leg/mites?

The link you have shows the exact same wound as my roosters and @azygous. They said the vet diagnosed with cancer. So now I'm wondering how they diagnose, by looking or testing? I replied to the old thread but not sure if it will be seen. I sure appreciate all the info. Seems we're never done learning about our chickens.
Hopefully that person will see your request, they have been online earlier this year. Taking a quick look at the thread, they reported their Avian Vet made the diagnosis. I'm not sure exactly how it works, if cultures were sent to a state pathology lab or? If you do find out, let us know.

And you're right, there's always so much to learn.

I just read the article the OP posted a link to. The description fits the lesion on my rooster's leg to a tee. The black ulceration is paper thin, easily soaked and softened and scraped away with very little bleeding. Then this black scab comes right back the next day.

I'm a life-long skin cancer "victim". I've had all of the kinds of skin cancer, squamous, basal-cell carcinoma, and malignant melanoma. Dermatologists recognize these cancers by sight, as do I after having them all multiple times, but they always send a biopsy to a lab for confirmation. I could send a biopsy to my state lab, but it would cost me $100 to confirm something I'm already reasonably certain of.

Now, with the description from the article, I'm more certain than before it's cancer.

I tried to make an appointment but the vet I went to previously isn't seeing poultry anymore. I did get some recommendations but not sure I even need to schedule something since he's living life normally so far.

Squamous cancers are slow growing. They do metastasize eventually, but perhaps it would take longer than his natural life span. That's what happened with a hen I had with a tumor over her eye. She had it from age six to nearly age fourteen when it finally started causing neurological problems.

It's probably why we don't hear a lot about these cancers in chickens. They don't normally live long enough for the cancer to cause serious issues.

Wow
I just posted an update to my thread on my rooster's leg. Comparing it to what it was a year ago, it's doubled in size in spite of no recent injuries to the leg. It's at the point where it's much easier to see that it's gone well beyond what an injury would be expected to look like. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-tumor-update-injury-not-tumor.1543307/page-3
It's definitely like mine. Strange that it's hard to find others with this. I wonder if it occurs more in roosters. Poor guys, I hope it takes forever before it causes to much pain. ❤️‍🩹💔

Back
Top Bottom