DIY Feed that can be grown?

tokies

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Ive kept chickens and quail for awhile now. I'm adding the guinea fowl to our family this spring. I was just wondering if anyone had any recipes for DIY feed that can be grown for example i grow oilseed pumpkins, plant some seed trees, and feed them whey. sometimes a bit of corn, or millet, sunflower, kale, oats, wheat, and turnips. but i have no idea what types of things they might like. i plan to let them free range through sweet potatoes. that i rotate through. I know that guinea fowl are more about protein than anything else. so any ideas would be great. We have space to plant. I prefer perennial crops . i really need to make this guinea fowl thing work out due to ticks

also any recipes for stage feed?

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't understand what 'stage feed' is, but here are two videos that may help you make your own fodder (feed grown from sprouted barley or wheat seeds). They also have recipes for the complete chicken feed that 'won't break the bank'!

Here is the video recipe/fodder recommendation:

Here is a video on growing fodder:

I hope these videos help!
Baby Chick Farm

I'm assuming they are referring to chick feed, grower feed, etc.

Thanks for the answer!

Tokies, I'm pretty sure fodder is good for chicks to eat as well, but I wouldn't try this until others approve with actual hands on experience, just in case!

Yes, I'm sure fodder and/or sprouts are fine for keets, but I did not do it myself. Not because I didn't think it was okay, but because I hadn't discovered it yet!

Mine are 3 months old now though and I give it to them, as well as sprouts and fermented feed.

I grow stuff to supplement their diet, but haven't grown things as their sole diet.

Whatever you are feeding your quail and chickens should be fine. Millet, sunflowers, oats, kale, etc. should all be fine. I threw down some amaranth, quinoa, sorghum, clover, chickweed, and buckwheat seeds too for them to feast on. I'm not about to attempt to harvest it though, but I do encourage them to free-range in that general direction. ;)

I think with guineas it's more important to give them a high protein diet as keets, but after mine grew up, I've been giving them an 18% chicken grower feed, mine free-range too and so far have been fine. I do sprout lentils and chickpeas for them though and try to do other higher protein sources like rye, alfalfa, buckwheat, etc.

As for recipes, I haven't seen any guinea specific ones here, but there are many for chicken feed if you do a search.

Tokies, I'm pretty sure fodder is good for chicks to eat as well, but I wouldn't try this until others approve with actual hands on experience, just in case!
The thing to remember when feeding non commercial prepared feed to keets, poults, chicks and any other very young type of poultry is that they require grit in order to be able to properly digest it. This includes greens or any other "treats" they may receive.

R2elk,

May I ask, can very young chicks eat and use grit too? If not, when are they able to eat grit?

Thanks,
Baby Chick Farm

Back
Top Bottom