DIY incubator?(Need Help)

Will this work?(If you chose no, please comment why)

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EggHatcherr

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2016
Hey so I am a newbie at birds and stuff. So first of all, I made a DIY egg incubator for quails. The incubator is a simple shoe box, with a heat pad under, fabric on top of the heat pad, and I will line the shoebox with styrofoam in the inside(for insulation). Will this incubator work? Please answer! And also one more question, do you NEED a thermometer?

Last edited:
Hi there commend you for figuring you want to be able to do this
you will need the thermometer and a humidity gauge mostly temp as there is train of thought
that humidity does not count so your dish of water would not be needed
would you want to post a picture
also there are many posts and thread on this site of building diy incubators
using the learning center or just putting those queries in our search box

Hi there commend you for figuring you want to be able to do this
you will need the thermometer and a humidity gauge mostly temp as there is train of thought 
that humidity does not count so your dish of water would not be needed
would you want to post a picture
also there are many posts and thread on this site of building diy incubators
using the learning center or just putting those queries in our search box
Yeah, I will post a pic. And also, what do you mean that I dont need the water inside?

Last edited:
Okay so here is my pic, please excuse the rag and stuff. Btw that black and white piece is where the small bowl of water will go. I still dont have a humidity guage or a thermometer will get one soon though!

Okay! Im gonna try dry hatching since most experiments with it had a %90+ chance of hatching! Well guess I wil only need a thermometer!:D

Dry hatch is a misnomer, it is really a drier humidity than normal not dry. Read up on it and you'll see it's not without water.

Temperature is the most important part of incubation. You will certainly need a thermometer. Looking at your photos I see plastic on top of shoe box. Your going to have to figure a way to have air flow. The chicks will need air when they get to the stage of internal pip. It's better to figure that out prior to start of incubation.

You can get a circulating fan like from a computer very small buy two set of
temp humidity you can get those even at wallmart

Back
Top Bottom