DIY Incubator: Questions

Candled all the eggs this evening! I think I will create a separate thread with candling pics so others can look and to seek some opinions.

The gnats did return a little, but pretty much just a few drowned under the light bulbs. Temp appears to be staying around 98.x - 99.x. Have had to add water to keep humidity in low to mid 30s. If it ever actually rains (of any significance) I expect the humidity will go up. I had originally figured the humidity would be naturally in the 30s and 40s, but then it stopped raining!

Your incubator looks really good! It’s too bad your eggs didn’t arrive in the best shape but hope you get at least a few hatchers. I’ve got some shipping stressed eggs going now too & it seems like such a long shot but I figure worth a try. I’ll look for your candle post so I can follow along 🙂

I am pleased with the state of the other two batches, though! At least from what I can tell ... never done this before!

Did your shipped eggs come okay? Air cells intact?

I attempted to post the second round of candling pics on the other thread but ran into problems with the images.

So this coming Wednesday I plan on locking down. It will be days 17 and 19 depending on the batch. Plan on lining with the Glade Press n Seal stuff. Would laying down a rag/cloth be helpful or not really for little chick feet rather than plastic? Also I’m obviously going to fill up my water wells, but I suspect I will need sponges or something else to get the humidity up about 20 percentage points. Humidity has mainly been in the low 30s thus far. Is getting up to the 50s sufficient or do I need to get to the 70-80s? Also kind of dumb question, but if I put sponges in, are they supposed to be sitting in some water to suck up in the bator, or just put them in damp?

Thanks!

Would laying down a rag/cloth be helpful or not really for little chick feet rather than plastic?
Yes it is best to provide more frictional surface, cloth is better than plastic. I had put a small piece of carpet (cut from an old carpet). It provided the best place for the babies to stand on.and none of them got splayed legs.
Is getting up to the 50s sufficient or do I need to get to the 70-80s?
I think, you should keep it in 60s, not too low not too high. So 60 seems to be the best for me.
but if I put sponges in, are they supposed to be sitting in some water to suck up in the bator, or just put them in damp?
If you put damp sponges, the humidity will rise too much. You should put the sponges in the water in such a way that half of the sponge is out of water but still wet.

(I am not an expert hatcher though. But these seem good to me)

Welp, lockdown today! Keep your fingers crossed 🤞

I think I’m going to have to break lockdown, though, because I can’t visualize all the thermo/hygrometers and will have to fill up water reservoirs. I just hope they don’t dry up before I get home from work! Had to put in a couple small containers with sponges before the humidity even went up suffiently. Presently it’s in the low 60s. I think that should be fine, since humidity was in the mid to low 30s most of the time? Don’t think I could fit more sponges. Would a water mister be beneficial, especially since I may have to open the incubator?

Idk about a mister, I never tried that, but refilling with warm water makes a huge difference in regaining temp/humidity if you're opening in lockdown. If you have to open it, you have to open it. Just be quick. Shrinkwrapping isn't usually that fast, the rule is to as much prevent unnecessary meddling I think(a noble but futile effort, in many cases).

Back
Top Bottom