DIY Instructions for Very EASY heated waterer for under $20 bucks

For years I had used a regular 3 gal waterer set on top of a "light bulb tin"(not sure if that's really what it's called) and it would work good except for the real cold(-10*/-20*) temps. After much reading on various chicken pages of waterers, I decided on the 5 gal bucket with horizontal nipples wrapped in heat tape. I went with a 6' length of heat tape, so it wraps around my bucket 2&1/2 times. I am happy to say that in these recent FRIGID temps we have had here(WNY), the water is completely thawed!!! Happy chickens, Happier me!!!

hmmm, is your aquarium heater working? One person was having this issue and found the heater was not working...
I'm on my 4th year with a small Tetra aquarium heater, with 2nd heater. I put in a gallon container with two nipples. no insulation, and been working fine. There is a tiny red light that comes on when it is heating.
ON EDIT; forgot to mention I'm near SW PA border.

Last edited:
Concerning the vertical waterers,
I don't know what brand I have, because a guy from the guinea forums sent them to me. But I have to say, they have been trouble free for 5 years. (I accidently let two freeze on a gallon feeder, not heated) still works after thawed & no drips. They are red, & must drill a 3/8" hole, then insert little black rubber? grommet, then push in the waterer. I do believe they have two internal check valves. When I get back, I will take a pic. When I did a search for some more about 4 years ago, I never saw any images that looked like them. I'll try again when I get back to coop , to identify them.

do you think the water pump was needed the heater? the heater keeps the water at 78 degrees. Looks like a great idea.

I think the pump was just an optional added security measure. Supposedly it also circulates the water so it all gets heated instead of only around the heater

This is so cool! I might see if i can do something like this come July when I have a bit of time. Thanks for the tutorial.

Back
Top Bottom