Do Amberlinks have another name? same as Golden Comets, and please recommend hatchery for buying.

Amberlinks are not the same as Golden Comets. Amberlinks are a brand name hybrid bred for wing feather sexing, Comets are a brand name hybrid bred for down color sexing. Both are excellent layers of brown eggs, though.

Amberlinks are a specific commercial egg laying hybrid chicken. They have relatively small bodies and lay a lot of decent sized eggs. I don't know of any hatchery that sells Amberlinks under any other name. There are other commercial egg-laying hybrids but they will be sold under different names.

A Comet, whether Golden, Red, or Black, is just a marketing name used by different hatcheries to signify a sex-linked chicken. A sex-liked chicken is just a chicken that can be sexed at hatch by down color or pattern. These may be based on commercial egg laying chickens, they may be specially developed by the hatchery, or they may just be crosses of specific breeds. There is no magical link between them being sex links and egg laying ability but since they tend to use chickens that lay well to make their sex links they often lay very well. They can be fairly small like those commercial hybrids or they may be "normal" sized if their parents are regular dual purpose breeds. "Comet" is just a marketing name, it really doesn't tell you much about them. They maybe very similar to Amberlinks or they may be different. Different hatcheries will call different types Comet.

As far as which hatchery to order from, I think it is more important to try to get one fairly close to you to minimize shipping. There are some differences in the chickens offered by different hatcheries, but in my opinion for a person just starting out, it's more important to limit shipping stress.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom