Do any egg sellers grade their eggs for selling to stores, etc.

DanIndiana

Songster
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Valparaiso, Indiana
Just wondering if anyone has experience taking it to the next level to be able to sell your eggs retail. I've seen the USDA grading manual, and wondered how practical it was to try to do it on a small level. Wasn't sure where to post this.
Thanks

I don't sell to stores because here in MN I would need a special certificate etc. and it would just be a pain for me becuase of all the rules in order to get the certificate i.e. no other animals wihin so many feet of the chickens etc. Bit I do grade my eggs because the certificate I have from MN dept of Ag to sell to individuals says I must, so I grade them as A or B not because they aren't fresh but because of the shells I get a few with bumps or ripples etc.

I sell my eggs to stores and restaurants in my area as being "ungraded" I currently have about 225 layers with a projected increase to over 400 laying hens this winter, and it is just not worth the time and effort to grade them. Furthermore, one store told me not to grade them because of the extra work maintaining different PLU's for the various egg sizes.

I know in Indiana you're supposed to grade them for retail sales, which includes candling. The question really is whether it's worthwhile to do that for a fairly small amount of sales-about 30 dozen a week or so.

I don't think the extra step to grading an egg by weight is a deal stopper. Ungraded eggs are candled too.

Back
Top Bottom