Do any of you know any yummy and nutritious snacks to feed my chickens that they will go crazy about

papileo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Los Angeles, California
What food do you give to your chickens that make them go crazy for it?
D.gif

Funny thing is, sometimes you introduce something new into the flock...and they ignore it...until one is brave enough to take a bite...then they all act as though that was their favorite dish. Seen it with yogurt....what the heck is this mess...until one took a bite and said yahoo

My chickens favorite snack.....<looking over shoulder for chicken police>......is hard boiled eggs. If I have older eggs that I know are still good but a little older than I like to sell they get boiled, cooled and chopped up shell and all! They love it! Rib bones ( with the pig detached). Spaghetti - bring a lawn chair, a soda, and make a trip to the potty before you go out to watch them. Kale. Sunflower seeds. Any kind of fruit. In summer, frozen vegetables and watermelon. In winter, fermented pumpkins....you know the ones that have been out since Halloween and have frozen and thawed a time or two until they look like they melted.

Oh and that last piece of ham that I made a sammich out of - without fail they'll take that right out of my hand if they see me with it. <sigh> Stoopid chickens!

Anything that moves...worms, crickets, a nosy neighbor...well, not so much the neighbor....too stringy....any sweet fresh fruit, like strawberries, watermelon, especially on a hot day. Mine do not like squash...and I thought a corn tortilla was off their menu, until it got softened up in the rain...down the gullet it went. They will fight to the death...almost...if you throw in only ONE treat...then it's off to the races....funny to see the lone rooster being chased by THREE hens half his size when he grabs the best stuff for himself. Chivalry is dead in my tractor! Must have gotten a male chauvinist pig rooster. He's not going to get any action in that coop unless he changes his ways.
lau.gif

Hi all, just a quick questions... Is it possible that i can overfeed my chickens..?
Please let me know... And i have heard that one can mix crushed Sun dried eggshells in their feed to boost calcium... Will this work...?

Hi all, just a quick questions... Is it possible that i can overfeed my chickens..?
Please let me know... And i have heard that one can mix crushed Sun dried eggshells in their feed to boost calcium... Will this work...?

It is possible to feed too many snacks which would disrupt the nutrition your chickens receive from their usual ration. But generally, allowing free access to chicken feed is perfectly fine, they will only eat what they need. With the exception to the Cornish cross who will not stop eating.

Yes, you can feed egg shells to egg laying hens only. You can mix it with food or place it in a separate dish, they will take what they need. However, most layer feeds do include calcium.

Anything that moves...worms, crickets, a nosy neighbor...well, not so much the neighbor....too stringy....any sweet fresh fruit, like strawberries, watermelon, especially on a hot day. Mine do not like squash...and I thought a corn tortilla was off their menu, until it got softened up in the rain...down the gullet it went. They will fight to the death...almost...if you throw in only ONE treat...then it's off to the races....funny to see the lone rooster being chased by THREE hens half his size when he grabs the best stuff for himself. Chivalry is dead in my tractor! Must have gotten a male chauvinist pig rooster. He's not going to get any action in that coop unless he changes his ways.
lau.gif

Hahaha thank you very much ! I will consider adding fruits once in a while!

It's not too nutritious but I just offered our flock some left over Rotini pasta, plain and it went over BIG time. Everyone grabbed a piece of pasta and suddenly 12 chickens were bouncing around like sugar buzzed toddlers.

On a healthier note, ours also love raisins, oatmeal, dry cereal like raisin bran, rice krispies and cheerios. Their number one favorite, however, is whole wheat bread. I have to count my fingers every time I offer them a slice. They remind me of feeding velociraptors on a Jurrasic park movie.

Back
Top Bottom