Do baby chicks sleep with their heads on the floor?

Aren't they cute! When my grandkids came the first day to see our baby chicks, we prepared them for this. Still, one of the 7 year olds said - "Oh look, that one is sleeping, now that one! We should set up another box as a bedroom and everytime a chick falls asleep, we put it in the bedroom box." Now, I had over 150 chicks!
lau.gif
I am so glad the grandkids are learning about chickens.

Quote:
I have heard that peafowl and turkey chicks/poults are almost too stupid to breathe when they are newly hatched!

I think the reason baby peeps just tip over like they do is they are literally too dumb to know to lay down before falling asleep!

I'm ashamed to say I once culled a baby chick who started kicking just as I wrung its neck. In hindsight I think it was just really in a hard sleep.

I am so thankful for this website! I jus passed my chick ( Tweet) and Baby turkey (Goobles) to check on them and Tweet was flat out on the floor with its chin dwn. Omg... I freaked out big time! So as always... I immediately google it knowing this webiste will pop up and bring it to a subject close to what I googled and ta da! This thread popped up!!!!! Wwwwwhheeeewwww
... I can sleep food tonight! Thank u everyone for all the helpful answers u give to questions that are ask... And thank u so much to Luke 13:34 for askin this question...

Yes Tina, that's completely normal and adorable too, once you know they are ok. I've raised countless numbers of babies over the last three years now
but when I was a chicken newbie I was scared to death seeing them lying on their fronts, tiny wings slightly outstreched with their feet straight out behind them!!!!!!!!!! OMG I thought - They have died! But no, in reality they are 'sunbathing and sleeping' restfully under the nice red heat lamp.

As has been said above, one of the funniest things to watch is when they are going full throttle then stop in their tracks, eyes start to close and the little head slowly lowers to their chest and they are 'fast asleep' - somebody flicked the off switch - then in a few minutes or less - switched back 'on' again and there they goooooooooooo.

Enjoy your babies - THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING - Wait until chicken math kicks in - oh reread your post - sounds like it already has!

Last edited:
I find it normal i have 10 baby chicks here now all of 2-4 days old and it scared the bajeuses out of me when I seen it on the ground stretched out but yes It is normal ( sometimes they will stick there beaks down to its cute)

I was so panicked I'm a first time chick owner well I guess most of us wer...then I got on BYC and looked to see with it is normal thankfully it is and one of them fell asleep with her head n the dish how cute !! I hav no idea what I'd do without this amazing site!!

Back
Top Bottom