Do blue marans

Ah, hatchery is the key word there. The reason I went the Cochin route is the sheer amount of leg-fluff on the bird. Hatcheries are notorious for the mad-scientist approach to breeding, so lord knows what they've mixed in :p.

It's a pretty bird, you're probably pretty safe just calling it a hatchery blue marans.

Hatcheries are notorious for the mad-scientist approach to breeding, so lord knows what they've mixed in :p.
thumbsup.gif

Ah, hatchery is the key word there.  The reason I went the Cochin route is the sheer amount of leg-fluff on the bird.  Hatcheries are notorious for the mad-scientist approach to breeding, so lord knows what they've mixed in :p.

It's a pretty bird, you're probably pretty safe just calling it a hatchery blue marans.

I never knew hatcheries sell mutt eggs!!! I thoughtthey would all be purebreds!

I never knew hatcheries sell mutt eggs!!! I thoughtthey would all be purebreds!
They sell the closest they can come to purebreds without spending big bucks on it (they are in it for money after all, not for breed conservation). And they are always tinkering with their 'products', which can sometimes go screwy. For example, last year McMurray churned out some REALLY screwed up Faverolles (wrong color, deformed skulls, mentally off even for a chicken, etc).

That doesn't even include hatcheries that do drop-shipping, and just take shipments of eggs from random producers nearby and re-sell. Not much quality control. It's a bit of a circus. Most of the time it produces birds that mostly resemble purebreds. But things can get a bit crazy.

They sell the closest they can come to purebreds without spending big bucks on it (they are in it for money after all, not for breed conservation). And they are always tinkering with their 'products', which can sometimes go screwy. For example, last year McMurray churned out some REALLY screwed up Faverolles (wrong color, deformed skulls, mentally off even for a chicken, etc).

That doesn't even include hatcheries that do drop-shipping, and just take shipments of eggs from random producers nearby and re-sell. Not much quality control. It's a bit of a circus. Most of the time it produces birds that mostly resemble purebreds. But things can get a bit crazy.
Yeah really wish I heard this back in January before I bought my super tiny "Standard" Faverolles with some neurological issues! They're more like bantams. I kind of wonder if they maybe sent Bantams instead.

Back
Top Bottom