Do chicken eggs sell?

gamefowl-layers

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2016
Littlerock California
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone here has ever sold their chicken eggs locally and if it was a disaster or if it worked out great. I have 8 Rhode Island Red pullets, 3 White Leghorns, and 1 Ameraucana. Someone is selling Production Red pullets of 5 months of age but it's a 40 minute drive. Does anyone know if it is worth it? Do chicken eggs sell fast? Good/Bad investment? Let me know. Thanks in advance!

Other details:
- I live in Littlerock, CA
- 1 dz of brown large eggs cost $6+ at my local grocers.
- 1 acre land
- Nearly no one sells eggs. I've looked on Craigslist and the only eggs are in Palmdale. (City over)
- Don't worry saying it's too much work (I looooovveeee chickens so it's not a problem)

Hi Gamefowl

I have a small flock of 17 chickens, assorted varieties, but all great egg layers.  (I started with 4).  I began selling eggs by giving my workout partner at the gym a dozen eggs once or twice a week as I had too many for us to eat.  Others noticed and asked if I would sell them eggs.  I now sell several dozen at the gym regularly and have more who have asked for them when my new 11 babies start laying.  I don't make a huge profit, but I am making enough to take a huge dent out of the feed bill.  Plus my chickens free range all summer and that helps cut down on the feed bill.  I notice signs around where I live (very rural) of people selling eggs.  Before I had chickens, I was hesitant to buy from them because I didn't know them, didn't know how well they cared for their chickens, and who knows how "fresh" those eggs really are. By selling to people I know, they know I have a healthy flock and take good care of my chickens.  By the way, I now have a couple customers who are friends of friends at the gym...so your business can grow!  Best of luck.

Did you have any trouble getting the word out or did the word just spread that you sold eggs? I was thinking of putting a Craigslist ad. I don't know if anyone here has tried that.

I would not waste my time trying to sell eggs over the internet. A poster board sign with [ EGGS and the cost] should be all you need.

In my area, my local feed store will buy eggs. I sell my extra to them, but they pay less than my neighbors. I charge $6 a dozen and no one blinks an eye at the price, much to my surprise. I have a dozen hens, a mixture of Rhode Island Reds, and Black sex-link hens and a turkey. They lay at least 2 a day each during their laying season. If there is a feed store in your area, I'll bet they have a bulletin board for livestock notices. If you take a few pictures of your flock, and write a note about how they come from a small backyard flock, including their names, people think it's really cute.With all the health benefits to locally grown and raised food, it really is worth the effort, in my opinion.If you can't find a bulletin board, print a few fliers and put them on the doors of your most health-conscious neighbors. I  include a phone number with no address because I don't want surprise visitors and ask that they call first. Hope this was helpful:) Good luck!

I'm confused on that as well. You have 12 chickens but get nearly 24 eggs a day? For one to double up is possible but unlikely. It takes a little over a full day for them to produce a single egg

How do you sell to the farmers market? Any rules or procedures you have to follow?

I sell jams & jellies at a local farmers market. Whenever I have extra eggs I bring them with me. With 13 layers I have extras every week. With Louisiana laws, since they are being sold directly to the end user, there are no regulations covering them. Almost all of the farmers markets in the area have someone selling eggs. I did have to ask the market coordinator if it was OK to sell eggs. Since backyard eggs are in such high demand, she said it was OK. Here;s a pic of my table. The eggs are on the right.

Last edited:
Grandson is doing a science project with a classmate on chickens and made his own incubator, so I have been trying to be selective with the eggs and put them aside. Called our best client and she showed up and took 12 dozen. The hens are laying very well and are getting 26/29 eggs a day. All chicken start up costs have been paid back and 2 bags of feed in the barrel with $20.00 in the kitty. Now grand kids will share in the profit. This is a good day!

I sell my eggs for 4$ a dozen to my friends at church, my piano teacher, etc. They go pretty fast, but it all depends on how many people are interested in buying!

I sell my eggs for 4$ a dozen to my friends at church, my piano teacher, etc. They go pretty fast, but it all depends on how many people are interested in buying!

Thanks for the reply and Wow, have you ever struggled selling them? Like, have you ever had to throw some away because they're just too many eggs? I'm thinking of acquiring more hens to sell eggs locally

Maybe do a bit of market research first before embarking on a major investment. I think for most of us who do not keep chickens commercially, we are lucky to break even with costs of feed by selling eggs. Theres a thread about selling eggs, just can't remember its specific name. I guess it only becomes profitable when done on a large scale. That doesn't mean that you should not consider having more eggs and then selling "value-added" products - mayonnaise, quiches, custard tarts etc etc - maybe that way you could begin to see a little more return.

All the best
CT

I sell my eggs. I only have 8 laying at the moment but have others that will begin laying soon. I have only 1 customer at the moment. She wants 5 dozen a week, it takes me longer then a week to get 5 dozen to sell her, but she knew that from the beginning so as soon as I get a full 5 dozen I get them to her and start saving up again. Before she started buying eggs from me, I shared my eggs with family, friends, and neighbors(for free). Now I have no eggs to give any of them, they all keep telling me as soon as your others start laying I want XX amount of eggs a week. lol So I am excited for my others to get laying. The going rate where I am is $3.00 to $3.50. So apparently I will not be making much of a profit, however my chickens will be earning their keep. Which makes me so very happy. I have been buying my feed at TSC, with tax one 50# bag of feed was $18.10. I just recently found out about a feed store that makes their own feeds and I have gone their and started buying their feed for a total of $8.05 a 50# bag of feed. So I just cut my feed bill in half. SO maybe I will make a small profit.....more chicks!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom