Do chicken step feeders work?

chickensrock12

Songster
8 Years
Sep 22, 2015
Utah
So, I ordered a chicken step feeder on Amazon. I want to know if my chickens will know how to open it and if it will keep the mice and birds out of it. I've have a problem with mice getting in the poop tray and eating the chicken feed my chickens
spill, then they die in there because of their poop and my chickens poop. Then there birds that eat it tell I have to fill up again. I went from filling the feeder every two months and now I fill it up two to four times a month. I only have two chickens. All i want to know if it will work. Please give feedback on this.

My coop

The chicken step feeder, this what I ordered.

Last edited:
Really, that is so weird. Your right I don't really know how to open it. Will it keep the mice and the small birds out too?

Last edited:
You must be wild life too. Right, because they are outsmarting you. You just don't know because you are wildlife.

It should work.......Hopefully your Birds are heavy enough to trigger the step plate?
I have seen the metal ones, never a wood one?
It looks neat......They are designed to keep rodents out..........

Best of Luck......

Post a Picture of them using the feeder once they understand the concept.....

Cheers!

Ok, thank you. The reason I didn't get the metal ones was, people said it said on the box water resistant. But, they came back and said it was getting rust and water was getting through to the feed. But, ordered the wood one because I have a paint. So, instead of the wood adsorbing water, It would bonce off. Also, I'm going to put a gloss on it so I can put in the coop. Then if the chickens poop on it, I can just wipe it off. Also good luck with your gals.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom