Do chickens eat ticks?

The Lisser

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Foothills of North Carolina
I've always heard that guineas are good at eating ticks, but will chickens eat them too?

My daughter got a tick bite yesterday - just from the being in the yard, and I'm ready to open a can of whoop-bottom on some ticks! Our chicks are almost big enough to start free-ranging. I'm wondering if they'll get the job done or do I need to get a few guineas?

Thanks!!!
Melissa

I am not sure but since I have no ticks in my back yard I would think they are hopefully someone with some more knowledge will chime in soon that would be great to know not sure I could have guineas in town

Well my flock does when I toss them into the run with them now if they do it when they free range I have no clue!

Guineas are the BEST tick eaters out there!!! When we first moved to our house, we were literally coming in with dozens of ticks on us! *shivers* Then somoene had mentioned Guineas and we maybe came in with 5 total all of last spring and summer! They literally eat thousands of ticks!!!

Quote:
Yes, I do. I raise the Guineas and Chickens together from hatch to coop. The Guineas as adults fly over the run and spend all day patrolling the property eating bugs. Some Guineas will roost in the coop with the chickens and some roost in the Mulberry trees in the run. I got the Guineas specifically to deal with the ticks and fleas-----they are worth the racket. The Guineas have no luck in raising their own Keets, so I slip Guinea eggs under a broody hen to hatch and raise, although I have also used the incubator. See my BYC page for pics.

Quote:
Thats cool, didn't know they'd go that far.
idunno.gif
I just know chickens love all kinds of bugs!
sickbyc.gif

I thought Max was dead,, laying there with a bunch of chickens standing all around him,, turns out he had a couple of bugs crawling on him and the chickens were picking him clean!!!

Back
Top Bottom