do chickens need to be free range

Ditto for me. I have a 10X12 tractor with a coop in my garage. I let them out usually 1/2 hr before dark. They do running jumps, and peck around in my mulch. That's when I try to give them treats too. I have lites in my coop that come on at dark so when it's dark they head for it and go right in w/o encouragement. But don't expect them to do that duing the day...then they go to the tractor & wait on me to let them in. I can just see them patting their foot.
lau.gif

I let mine free range most of the day, and I know it's a risk. But my run is pretty small (12x6 for nine hens, I was a victim of chicken math). Just my opinion, but I'd rather have an ecstatic chicken with a short life than a miserable chicken that lives forever...

poseygrace wrote " I'd rather have an ecstatic chicken with a short life than a miserable chicken that lives forever..."

I just love that- What the Hell does an ecstatic chicken actually look like, really?? hahaha!!!

Anyway, Ive enjoyed following this thread. I love the debate/discussion regarding free range vs protected pen. I'ts interesting.

My girls absolutetly LOVE to free range. Whenever we are going to be gone all day and their doggie friend cannot be out to protect them- we keep them penned up all day. My RIR makes that "urrrrrrrgggggghh" annoyed chicken noise everytime we go outside and she,and all the others, pace back and forth at the gates, wanting to be out and about.
It is OBVIOUS that they most whole heartedly prefer to be OUTSIDE their pen/run than INSIDE.

And, for what its worth, I have had chickens now for 3 years and all my predator-losses have occured at night and/or otherwise had nothing to do with free- ranging.

SO, in my humble opinion: free range = ecstatic chickens = almost 100% egg-to-chicken laying rate!!
Seriously. My hens, all my hens lay an egg a day, pretty much 6 days a week.

And that spells free ranging= yummy eggs for me and my family!!!

whoo hoo!!!!
Mary

Well there is a youtube video I saw that lets you see a hawk go into an uncovered run and then turn around a corner of the wooden coop so you couldn't see it anymore. Then you hear the most horrific screaming and screaming and what sounds like more agonizing noises and then more screams. It went on forever! The other chickens ran out of that area and were freaking out. It affected me so much I had to stop listening. Raccoons rip them apart through openings their hands fit through but not their bodies. Sometimes its swift but many times its not.
sigh.gif
It happens daytime and nighttime if your coop isn't super secure. Everything wants a chicken dinner.
no.gif

I just can't think dying like that is worth risking free ranging far from protection or having a coop that is not predator secure. Its not usually quick or painless. Its a nightmare. If there is a way for you to allow free ranging in a secure area that would be in my opinion the best way. I also hope everyone tries to give their hens a secure coop--inclucing the top!

My own four hens? Well they have a Fort Knox run/coop for when we are not home that gives them over 50 sq. feet outside and 20 sq. feet indoors. When we are home (which is most of the time) they get out into an even larger area to peruse, scratch, play, and basically everything they want in a natural environment that is safe and secure. It is not the Fort Knox of their coop but it is fenced well, netted on top (hawks) and they have our 2 ever vigilant dogs protecting them. We move it around for them so they can graze and dig up worms and bugs (yum). Its' the best we can do in our suburban backyard and our girls lay eggs 5-6 a week each and are very healthy and happy!
loveshower.gif

I only let mine out if i'm out with them. I left them alone for about 30 minutes once and lost one to a hawk that had been watching them for a couple days. That won't happen again!

Mine free-range all day every day and then go up at night. We have the occasional hawk fly over (the crows run them off), and we've only had 2 losses, both of them bantam hens, in 2 years. I agree that I'd rather have happy, healthy birds, and they get what they need a lot better from free-ranging than from being penned 24/7 (grass, bugs, exercise, etc.). IMHO, if they're going to be kept penned they're no better off than the production hens that factory farms use. Again, that's JMHO.

I live on a 6000 square foot lot, so basically a standard residential zoned lot. Right now I have a section gated off and the chickens are out. When we get the walk in run completed they will be inside of that because I worry about their safety. However, I agree with the one hour a day rule and will still try to do this as a supplement. If I'm home, I'll give them the option to be out in the smaller fenced off area which is still bigger than their run will be.

Quote:
Have you ever seen the conditions battery farm layer hens live in? From what you say you probably haven't. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion of course.

Here is a typical battery hen's home:

39619_hens_battery.jpg
39619_battery_cage_close_up.jpg

My girls live in our backyard and get out every single day to play and forage in the yard. This is their coop where they stay when we are not home (we are home most of the time) and at night. Is this life as cruel as a battery cage hen's seen above? Do they really seem miserable?
greenstars.gif

39619_renee_coop_clouds_medium.jpg

Here is the inside of the henhouse:

39619_renee_feeding_treats_1_medium.jpg

Our girls run to us and love being petted and having yummy treats. They feel safe, have great fun and IMHO have a pretty nice life. They repay us with lots of eggs too.
toyou.gif

I think they have a lots of fun for a chicken and are safe from horrific painful deaths. Of course if you have acreage they can have bigger secure runs and that would be even nicer. We live in the suburbs and do the best we can and because of this we don't have to buy eggs from the store and perpetuate the massive batteries that truly are cruel and inhumane.

Here they are grazing in a secure pen:

39619_out_and_about_at_13_weeks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom