do chickens talk back ?

I like to have "conversations" with all of my pets, cats and dog included.

For the chickens though, most of mine are still young enough that they make little cheepy sounds, especially a Whiting True Green named Toast that is 2.5 months. She chirps very lightly but constantly when she hops in my lap and sits down for pets. I like to think she's telling me a story, so our conversation is something like "Hi, Toast!" *cheep cheep cheep* "Oh, goodness. Tell me about it!" *cheep cheep cheep* "Oh, really?" *cheep cheep* "Well, what happened after that?" *cheep cheep cheep cheep* "Uh huh, what did you think about that?" *cheep cheep cheep* "Oh wow, and what did you do next?" *cheep cheep cheep*

My oldest girls just hit 3 months and the most mature one (so far) sounds like a honking goose right now, so those conversations are also fun because I can't take her seriously.
That's funny! I used to have that exact conversation with my daughter when she started her baby babble!

Yes to your question. Chickens can talk to you.
We picked up a sex-link when we first picked up our ms chicky from a woman that did not want her. She was a talker that was mostly around a little boy every day. She was about three months old. The enclosure she was in she could not walk around much in it. She was a pretty good girl that if she saw me eating at the enclose she would beg for my food. That was the beginning of her eating out of my hand. She did not run from us and we could pick her up with out her running from us. Thanks to the little boy. She was a joy to watch everyday. Now, we have a few of ours that will balk at me when I'm in the run giving treats out especially our welsummer Hen and our senior gold wyandotte. Sometimes the Australorps will do this too. With some of the new ones over the years they to eat out of my hand.

I have 4 nest boxes, but all of them want the same one box. Makes me wonder why I give up the floor space if they just want the one box :rolleyes:
I know right!?
When building the coop, being new to chickens, I was learning everything I could find & read that there should be 1 nest Box for every 3 to 4 hens...then the chickens actually taught me THEIR REALITY. 1 box will be squawked & squabbled over while the others will remain neat as a pin cuz they will rarely go in those. I guess it's the equivalent to the living room or spare bedroom...looks picture perfect & ready for some fancy guests that never arrive (& kids weren't ever allowed in there to mess them up). 😆 🤣 😂

When we are all sitting together and calm; if i say any of their names, i get the head tilt look and a little sound of recognition from them. My super chatty Rosie always has something to say but its a quite chatter almost like shes talking to herself constantly. I feed them wet mash in the AM and PM and that voice is certainly heard if its not prepared on time for her. Her chatter has reminded me a couple of times, hey, wheres our breakfast?! I think i may have to stop that routine!

Attachments

• EBD0E5DA-2578-4541-874C-5FEB00F600ED.jpeg
    EBD0E5DA-2578-4541-874C-5FEB00F600ED.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 2
  • CFEE2C4A-FB4B-4FDA-8244-A8A850BF9AAA.jpeg
    CFEE2C4A-FB4B-4FDA-8244-A8A850BF9AAA.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 2
  • FA58B58B-B07E-4501-9927-8DE000216600.jpeg
    FA58B58B-B07E-4501-9927-8DE000216600.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 2
Most definitely they do talk back to us!!!
I've got several (12 shhhhhh!) and my oldest is a roo that's bout to turn 1 yr old! He follows me around the yard, answers when I call his name, and crows loud when I drive up or he hears me laughing from the house. And he's out back behind the house.
I have 3 sister d'uccles and one is so dang Chatty that I named her Chatty and the other one Cathy cuz she seldom talks. Then the other one is named after the angel Gabriel cuz it's a miracle she's alive!
The others all have names as well but u probably don't care lol! :lau
I probably spend far too much time out with my babies...but who cares what everyone else thinks. I and they enjoy it!

I know this may sound weird but do chickens talk back or talk with us? whenever mine see me (the ones that i raised from when they were baby chicks not the older ones in the flock) walk up to me and start making small clucking noises and look at me and like tilt their head or if I talk first they reply and they come up close and look at me and sometimes try to eat things off me or rub their beak on me or sit across me and do small clucking noises I can’t tell if this is normal for chickens or if they’re communicating something but advice would be super helpful ty 😅 the cockerels do this too not just the pullets if that helps
Yes, they do! In my opinion…

When we approach the Ayam pen, the roosters start making the “come get treats” noise to no one in particular. Meanwhile, the Ameraucana pen is chatting us up from the side of the pen closest to the Ayam…it’s obvious they are NOT happy sharing their humans. We don’t do a ton of treats, so it’s the company they’re seeking if I had to guess.

I think they do. My cockatoo absolutely does. He will actually say words when he wants things, or is unhappy etc.

Chickens now, I think they do, in their own language, if you take the time to stop and listen to them, don't just hear them, LISTEN to them, they often are telling you things. I can tell when they want snacks, or if the water is low in their coop or something has them not happy, they'll come tell me. Sometimes they'll stand around or go over by where the problem is to try to tell you.

I had one of my dum dums get herself in the hav a hart trap and locked herself in the possum trap (don't ask) Well her sister, was all whiney and moaning, and I was asking her what's wrong, long drawn out bwaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkk like they do when they are vocalizing. She's standing behind the coop looking at me, looking over behind her, behind the coop, at me, back. I say what's wrong sweetie? and start walking over there, she immediately jumps behind the coop. As I get around the corner she's standing on the cage, vocalizing, shes upset... it is THEN I see the little one INSIDE the cage. So yes I firmly believe some can talk. One comes up to me and wants me to pet her or does the submit and Ill ruffle her up telling her how pretty she is, and she's all happy and will have a brief conversation, which I am pretty sure is. ok so now where is my treat.

The other day midnight got into my strawberries and tore them up. I grabbed her and held her at eye height and very sternly told her, what the hell is wrong with you !! WHY DO YOU KEEP GOING INTO THE STRAWBERRIES !!! Giving her an angry look. She held her head down, looking down, she'd occasionally look up, like eyes looking up at me and I swear to god, if I chicken could have a guilty look on it's face SHE HAD IT. It was like a feathered puppy when you scolded it.

Then I got another one who is dumb as a stump and im surprised doesn't drown by looking up when it rains...

Yes, they absolutely DO speak with us. We just need to take the time to learn, recognize and understand the language they are speaking though.

Aaron

I know right!?
When building the coop, being new to chickens, I was learning everything I could find & read that there should be 1 nest Box for every 3 to 4 hens...then the chickens actually taught me THEIR REALITY. 1 box will be squawked & squabbled over while the others will remain neat as a pin cuz they will rarely go in those. I guess it's the equivalent to the living room or spare bedroom...looks picture perfect & ready for some fancy guests that never arrive (& kids weren't ever allowed in there to mess them up). 😆 🤣 😂
The really funny thing is some mornings it is box A everyone wants, then other days everyone wants box B. They eventually go through all 4 of them, but one has few 'days in operation' some others are favourites.

If I clean it out and put fresh everything in a box that has been the "Go To" box for several days, suddenly no one wants it anymore.

:he

When we are all sitting together and calm; if i say any of their names, i get the head tilt look and a little sound of recognition from them. My super chatty Rosie always has something to say but its a quite chatter almost like shes talking to herself constantly. I feed them wet mash in the AM and PM and that voice is certainly heard if its not prepared on time for her. Her chatter has reminded me a couple of times, hey, wheres our breakfast?! I think i may have to stop that routine!
Rosie is beautiful! Is she a Gold Lace Wyandotte?

Back
Top Bottom