Do chicks out grow heating plates before not needing them?

For daytime temps in New Mexico I would think you certainly right, what are the nighttime temps or are they sheltered enough to not matter?

For example here we are forecast to be in the 50s and maybe even some 60s next week BUT our average last frost is May 15th meaning nights can frequently drop into the 20s right through April it was 5degrees one morning just this week.

If dropping below freezing I would expect 4 week old egg breeds to appreciate some heat yet at that age and think their size would mean very few would fit under a 12" plate then.

The weather here in NM has been crazy. It's been in the 70's last couple weeks and now we are getting snow this week :) it can be all 4 seasons in one week here. Average is about 60-65 daytime and 30's at night.

We just built a 10x12 insulated shed with a 30' enclosed run for the chicks. They should be just fine here in a few weeks to go out there. We are still completing the shed otherwise I would just brood them directly out there.

The weather here in NM has been crazy. It's been in the 70's last couple weeks and now we are getting snow this week
smile.png
it can be all 4 seasons in one week here. Average is about 60-65 daytime and 30's at night.

We just built a 10x12 insulated shed with a 30' enclosed run for the chicks. They should be just fine here in a few weeks to go out there. We are still completing the shed otherwise I would just brood them directly out there.
Roof insulation to keep summer sun heat from creating an oven? Side insulation wouldn't do much. At least in that climate I doubt moisture is a persistent problem.

So I have 15 under the Small Premier plate. They fit comfortably with room for about 3-4 more chicks. They are only 4 days old though. So I will update again in a couple weeks how they are doing.

This is my first time with chicks, too. I purchased 8 from the feed store on Thursday 3/10. After extensive research I opted for the Premiere 1 Heating Plate, size Extra Small (accommodates up to 10 chicks) as my heat source. Ambient air temp in the room is about 60-65 degrees. Day 1 - Day 6, everyone fit perfectly under the 10"x10" heating plate and were very content with happy 'peeps' and little trills as they settled down to sleep.

Today is Day 7 and I had to elevate the plate by 2 clicks to accommodate my tall Light Brahma girls! All 8 of them do seem a bit crammed under there. They mostly sleep with their heads poking out the sides. I'm concerned that by 2 weeks of age they will not all fit comfortably under there. Certainly not at 3 weeks!

So if you're considering buying the Premiere 1 heating source, I don't think its a bad idea to opt for the next size up. The difference between the Extra Small and the Small is only 4 square inches! In retrospect, I certainly would've paid more for the next size up (and I would've bought the cover so I'm not cleaning their poop off the top 3 times a day!)

Hope this is helpful. Here's a pic of everyone settling down for an afternoon nap
tongue.png

I went with the big Premier plate overkill for the 12 meaties on day one but they will fit till they get pretty big.

I certainly would've paid more for the next size up (and I would've bought the cover so I'm not cleaning their poop off the top 3 times a day!) Hope this is helpful. Here's a pic of everyone settling down for an afternoon nap :p
The clear plastic cover is definitely worth the money! It's pretty comical to watch them jump up and slide down the side :)

I switched to using one of these for the 1st time this year (my 3rd batch of babies). I love it! My gals will probably be moving to the outside coup in 2-3 week where they will not have a heat source. I've been wondering if I need to take the plate away at some point to get them use to it (like I've done in the past with heat lamps). Anyone know? I'm also not sure what age that was when I removed the lamp because I did it based on how they were acting. This group still seems to use the plate, but mostly for perching on top. Not sure if they get any heat from that or if it's just a high spot to sit.

The 11 meaties that made it went outside last week at4 weeks , apparently them having the heat plate anywhere near that in the unheated WI garage was wildly overkill because 2 days after they went out I leave for work at 28F and they weren't even huddling or back in the plywood end of the tractor, out in the fenced end laying separate. Polish chicks a few days younger just went outside last night, they had stopped using the plate.

FamFitz I visited my sister in Marysville(your neck of the woods and right by the commercial egg operation) couple months back and based on what I saw of your weather, keep them dry and I bet by 3 weeks of actual age you could be done with heat.

One thing I did to decrease dependence on the plate was the last week or so I had it on a timer to shut off during the day and just switch on an hour before lights out, this let the plate warm up and them realize it was warm before dark so they could get situated.

Back
Top Bottom