do dark yellow or orange yolks mean they are healthier.

As an aside... when I was a baby my parents freaked out and rushed me to hospital because I was “jaundiced”. My favorite food was carrots. Guess why I was turning yellowish orange?

I don’t think there is necessarily a direct link between yolk colour and “healthier” eggs... because you could still have a malnourished, poorly fed, chicken that happens to be eating a lot of things that yield a deeper orange colour. Just like some egg companies here like to promote chickens fed an “all vegetarian, no animal byproducts” diet. Poor, deprived chickens with no mice to eat!

Generally speaking though, farm fresh, or backyard fresh eggs with nice richly colored yolks are probably better for you, nutritionally, in flavor, and for your ethics than the $2.99 dozen at the store from battery hens.

Husbands 2nd cousin tried to stay at the farm for a bit (live rent free while studying her spiritual path and taking an online Buddhist course) it didn’t last long... vegetarian on a meat producing farm, and it wasn’t the quiet pastoral scene she idealized. Anyway, she refused to eat our eggs! Would only eat one specific brand from my former employer... WholeFoods. I don’t get people.

Also, my husband, a butcher, while employed at WholeFoods during the height of the gluten free fad (nothing against actual celiacs or gluten intolerance... just the fad) had to deal with people looking for gluten free meats. “Well, you see... if the cow ever ate any grains, then that will be in the meat, and it will kill me!” As they munch away on a “flourless” cookie produced in the bakery full of airborne gluten from the mixers.

“You are what you eat” only goes so far. Appearances can be deceiving. That said, eat and do what makes you happiest. “Studies show” (lol, no I won’t back this statement up with facts or scientific papers... this is the internet people!) that it is sometimes less about what you’re eating and more about how you feel about eating it that matters.

It’s finally melting here! Thankfully... it’s a cute novelty, but I can’t wait to be rid of it now. A week of it was too much for me, I don’t know how the poor souls that got hit with that polar vortex, and actual cold temps survived! But, that’s why I live as south west as I can get in Canada...

As an aside... when I was a baby my parents freaked out and rushed me to hospital because I was “jaundiced”. My favorite food was carrots. Guess why I was turning yellowish orange?

I don’t think there is necessarily a direct link between yolk colour and “healthier” eggs... because you could still have a malnourished, poorly fed, chicken that happens to be eating a lot of things that yield a deeper orange colour. Just like some egg companies here like to promote chickens fed an “all vegetarian, no animal byproducts” diet. Poor, deprived chickens with no mice to eat!

Generally speaking though, farm fresh, or backyard fresh eggs with nice richly colored yolks are probably better for you, nutritionally, in flavor, and for your ethics than the $2.99 dozen at the store from battery hens.

Husbands 2nd cousin tried to stay at the farm for a bit (live rent free while studying her spiritual path and taking an online Buddhist course) it didn’t last long... vegetarian on a meat producing farm, and it wasn’t the quiet pastoral scene she idealized. Anyway, she refused to eat our eggs! Would only eat one specific brand from my former employer... WholeFoods. I don’t get people.

Also, my husband, a butcher, while employed at WholeFoods during the height of the gluten free fad (nothing against actual celiacs or gluten intolerance... just the fad) had to deal with people looking for gluten free meats. “Well, you see... if the cow ever ate any grains, then that will be in the meat, and it will kill me!” As they munch away on a “flourless” cookie produced in the bakery full of airborne gluten from the mixers.

“You are what you eat” only goes so far. Appearances can be deceiving. That said, eat and do what makes you happiest. “Studies show” (lol, no I won’t back this statement up with facts or scientific papers... this is the internet people!) that it is sometimes less about what you’re eating and more about how you feel about eating it that matters.
:lau my mother feed my brother so much of carrot baby food, he like you turned a bright orange, too! For some reason that's just about all the veggies she could get him to eat...so he got alot of carrots. :gig

An easy and inexpensive way for dark orange/red yolks is to feed them alfalfa. It is high in protein and the carotoids. I use the pellets and soak them in warm water an hour or two till soft and only make it about 10%of their diet. you may have to mix it in with some other feed or bacon drippings for the first week till they aquire a taste for it. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom