Do different colors of Indian runner behave differently?

kunsangsean

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
I'm getting ready to order some ducklings from Metzer farm, but I haven't solidified which ducks to get yet. They have a duck comparison chart where they've rated different duck qualities including skittishness. They rate the fawn and white indian runner significantly more skittish than black or blue. Does that make sense with your experiences? I suppose breeding for color could select for other traits but not sure it makes sense.

I was set on getting 4 black runner drakes for a quiet(er) bug patrol squad, but now I'm back tossing around the ideas of hens for eggs. The max bird number I can have here is 6. Now I'm thinking of getting 3 welsh harlequin hens, and 3 black runner drakes OR 2 WH hens, 2 black runner drakes, and 2 fawn & white one drake/one hen. Any problems with those flock setups? I read one thread where someone mentioned having smaller drakes and larger hens reduced the over-breeding pressure.

Thanks!

The ratio works best of having 1 drake to 3-4 females. If you can have up to six, I would recommend either all ladies. Or 1 drake and the rest females.

The spring and summer they have high hormone drives, so the hens can get overmated easily. I'm sure others will chime in. But I went from having 2 drakes and 2 hens and reduced to 1 drake with 2 hens and I will still be watching like a hawk to make sure my 2 don't get abused by the drake.

The ratio works best of having 1 drake to 3-4 females. If you can have up to six, I would recommend either all ladies. Or 1 drake and the rest females.

The spring and summer they have high hormone drives, so the hens can get overmated easily. I'm sure others will chime in. But I went from having 2 drakes and 2 hens and reduced to 1 drake with 2 hens and I will still be watching like a hawk to make sure my 2 don't get abused by the drake.
I totally agree! I tried having two drakes with four hens. It was a disaster. One drake! Btw, my girls have always been better bugs catchers than my boys.

I totally agree! I tried having two drakes with four hens. It was a disaster. One drake! Btw, my girls have always been better bugs catchers than my boys.
Oh interesting, I wonder if they need to eat more since they're making eggs. The main reason I was thinking all drakes or to have even ratio is in case we have to get rid of the hens due to noise. Then we would still have more than 1 lonely drake.

Oh interesting, I wonder if they need to eat more since they're making eggs. The main reason I was thinking all drakes or to have even ratio is in case we have to get rid of the hens due to noise. Then we would still have more than 1 lonely drake.
I don't find them to be as noisy as others, if that helps. They talk a lot, but rarely go into full blown hysterics like the Pekins.

I don't find them to be as noisy as others, if that helps. They talk a lot, but rarely go into full blown hysterics like the Pekins.
Noise does seem to be subjective and/or vary by individual. At least that's what it seems like as I see reports of welsh harlequins being very quiet, and others saying they are very loud - for example.

Back
Top Bottom