Do ducklings need grit in their diet if they are eating lettuce?

TheMallardMan

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
North Carolina, US
They are roughly 2 1/2 weeks old, and the other day i started giving them bits of lettuce, they love it. I haven't noticed anything different in their poop or behaviour, are they ok without the grit?

Btw, how fast do ducks grow?! I swear they've doubled (if not tripled) in size already!
They are mallards, btw

They are roughly 2 1/2 weeks old, and the other day i started giving them bits of lettuce, they love it. I haven't noticed anything different in their poop or behaviour, are they ok without the grit?

Btw, how fast do ducks grow?! I swear they've doubled (if not tripled) in size already!
They are mallards, btw
Yes they need grit that's the only way they have to chew their food. Just a small bowl separate from their feed they take it as needed. Boy do ducklings grow fast even tiny lil Mallards lol Pics please.

Last edited:

They are mallards, btw
Grit...yes. Lettuce...yes. Change in poop and/or behavior...they are cutely unpredictable at all times.

How fast do they grow...put duckling in front of you...close your eyes...count to 10...open your eyes...duck!!!!

Grit...yes. Lettuce...yes. Change in poop and/or behavior...they are cutely unpredictable at all times. 

How fast do they grow...put duckling in front of you...close your eyes...count to 10...open your eyes...duck!!!!

Thats exactly what happened! Im going to wake up one morning and there'll be 4 adult mallard ducks in the brooder :p

Thats exactly what happened! Im going to wake up one morning and there'll be 4 adult mallard ducks in the brooder
tongue.png
lol.png
Better get busy on their new house if you haven't done so already.

Thats exactly what happened! Im going to wake up one morning and there'll be 4 adult mallard ducks in the brooder
tongue.png
So they are about 3 weeks old now? That means you probably have another 3 weeks or so before you will need to move them outside. What are your temps like there and for the next month or so. Mine do just fine outside (they are 8 months and others 22 weeks) and our temps have been in the low 40's at night and mid 60's in the day. We have some 30's coming for over nights but I don't anticipate any problems. Make sure your coop/pen is well ventilated and no major openings in the direction of your prevailing winds and you should have no problems.

So they are about 3 weeks old now? That means you probably have another 3 weeks or so before you will need to move them outside. What are your temps like there and for the next month or so. Mine do just fine outside (they are 8 months and others 22 weeks) and our temps have been in the low 40's at night and mid 60's in the day. We have some 30's coming for over nights but I don't anticipate any problems. Make sure your coop/pen is well ventilated and no major openings in the direction of your prevailing winds and you should have no problems.

Oh we're not keeping them. We're raising them till about the end of November, then we're giving them to a friend
:)

Back
Top Bottom