do ducks eat slugs?

eco2pia

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
Ok, seriously, I live in NW Washington. I need to know, will ducks really eat slugs? Not poke at them, not just snack on one that wanders across their path once in a while, but really, really, seek and destroy? I would love to hear that they consume half their body weight in slugs a day, we have that many available. Don't tell me other ways to get rid of slugs, I know the beer, the night flashlight hunts, the DE, the copper, etc, etc. I need active resident protection here, anti-slug gaurd ducks marching in voracious little waddling patrols....is it gonna happen? Tell me the truth.

I have 3 two week old runners and they jump on anything that moves in their kennel. So far no slugs are in the kennel, and now that I think of it, I've not really seen slugs here, and not like I did in Kodiak, but if they are out there, I'm sure my ducks will eat them faster than I can say "hey, there's a slug!"

I had a Lhasa Apso growing up that LOVED to eat slugs...what a mess!!

Last edited:
So maybe I need to get ducks AND a Lhasa Apso...I don't have ducks yet, trying to decide. I must have slug killers!!! Either that, or I douse my whole property in gasoline and torch the sucker-- which wouldn't help my garden anyway....

when i dump the pools in my duck yard, crickets go everywhere. then the ducks gobble them up. really, anything small and slow enough, they will eat.

Well that's a relief, so maybe my plan of having ducks on slug-patrol wasn't so harebrained after all...all I can say is that chickens like beetle-y things like grubs and sow bugs, stuff with legs, but they wont bother with slime--not even earthworms, never mind slugs. Picky little brats!

The main reason I started looking in to owning ducks was because my yard is infested with slugs. Having ducks has greatly reduced the population. The funny thing is I am in Colorado...semi arid. How I ended up being infested with slugs is beyond me
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom