Do ducks lay year round in Southern California?

Swiegand

Chirping
Apr 27, 2022
Do ducks lay year round in Southern California? I live in Lakeside and I have ducks for the first time. I have 3 laying age ducks and 2 younger hens that aren't laying yet. I'm wondering since we don't really get seasons, if they lay year round or if the laying season is longer.... I'm sorry if this is a stupid question🤦‍♀️

It depends what kind of ducks and how old they are. It also isn’t based on temperatures but day length. So, if you have Mallards or meat ducks (Pekins, Appleyards, etc.) they should not lay year round. If you have egg laying ducks like Khaki Campbell’s, Golden 300, White Layers, etc., they often lay all year round, especially when they are young.

It depends what kind of ducks and how old they are. It also isn’t based on temperatures but day length. So, if you have Mallards or meat ducks (Pekins, Appleyards, etc.) they should not lay year round. If you have egg laying ducks like Khaki Campbell’s, Golden 300, White Layers, etc., they often lay all year round, especially when they are young.
This is super helpful. Sadly, my mallard flew away today🤦‍♀️ Going to try to find her when I get off in a bit. My remaining ducks I think are considered decent layers, but I don't think they lay as much as Khaki Campbells. I have cayugas, a magpie, an ancona and a black swedish.

I'm wondering since we don't really get seasons, if they lay year round or if the laying season is longer
It's day light, not temperature dependent.

They won't likely lay when they molt, regardless of breed.. which essentially to me means NOT year round starting their second year though yes possibly though that first winter as with chickens.

Sorry your mallard has gone, check your local parks with ponds. Consider clipping her wings, if you find her. :fl

It's day light, not temperature dependent.

They won't likely lay when they molt, regardless of breed.. which essentially to me means NOT year round starting their second year though yes possibly though that first winter as with chickens.

Sorry your mallard has gone, check your local parks with ponds. Consider clipping her wings, if you find her. :fl
That makes sense. Thank you!
Yeah I'm gonna check Lindo Lake close by🤦‍♀️ Hopefully she won't blend in with the others.

Back
Top Bottom