DO F1 SILKIE CROSSES ALWAYS HAVE 5 TOES? APPARENTLY NOT!

Last edited:
I just remembered reading this article by TwoCrows from 2015. Hope it helps.

*edited to add, Was trying to find where I thought I read cold temperature or low humidity during incubation may cause 5 toes?? I got 5 toes in a chick from parents and grandparents with 4 toes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.68093/:confused:
Thank you, I do appreciate it. 😊
Silkies normally have 5 toes and this trait is normally passed on to silkie crosses, often used as a sign that a cross bred bird has silkie in it. I was surprised when one of my hybrid chicks only had 4 toes (what most other chicken breeds have). All the other chicks of this cross that I am hatching have the expected 5 toes.

I had some silkie cosses that had 4 toes in on one foot and 5 on another.

Same! My roos each have 9 toes in all! 'accidents' too... pure silkie x pure polish.

But my others, both the same cross, were 1 5 toes on each foot... the other 4 on each!

Weird, right?

I hatched out an egg from my blue silkie crossed with my Marans Mix (Midnight Majesty Marans - named by Hoovers but she's basically a mix of different Marans to be a dark brown egg layer). The cockerel has 4 toes on 1 foot, 5 toes on the other. He is definitely interesting looking and a big boy!
Love to see a photo of him if you are so inclined. 😊 My chicks are 50% silkie, 25% ameraucana and 25% black copper marans.
This is the one with 4 toes:
0115418A-4924-4F73-9D7B-79957A46FAA7.jpeg

And a few of the others (all with 5 toes):
D5C9A1C6-7096-4BA7-AD81-311F310ED196.jpeg
9F4C4DC7-EE46-4C3D-9346-C294753EBDD5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom