Do guinea hens need a heat source for winter?

LivingFate

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
I live in new england, I have no electricity in the coop- Are guineas cold hardy or do I need to supplement with some kind of heat source for the winter?

Mine spend the winter outside....by their choice. They roost in the cedar trees. We probably as a rule don't have as much snow as you, but we have very cold temps and lots of wind. There are several open barns they could roost in, but they never do.

That's what I thought, but I picked up some keets a couple of weeks ago and she said they need a heat source in the coop- Once there feathered and able to go out, obviously now there in my basement in a brooder,. So I didn't know if I needed to figure out a heat source for the older one in my coop.

I never use heat for any of my birds, except the babies. The guienas roost in the trees even in the winter snow. The coop is always open to them if they choose, and they do go in to eat. Then again, here in Virginia it doesn't get as cold for as long as where you are.

Mine also roost in the trees all the time. One of my hens goes into the barn and snuggles with the chickens if she gets too cold, but mostly they stay in the trees.
Maybe she told you that since they are young? Just make sure you get them acclimated before putting them in the coop, and they should be fine.

I don't have a heat source in my coop. The guineas do fine; once they are fully feathered. I shut the coop door at night and open in the AM. In the warmer times of the year they roost in the trees (sure makes cleaning the coop easier
smile.png
)

We dont get really cold winters here in SC, but it gets down to around 34-39 degrees some times.

The guineas living on various farms out here, are for the most part "wild" they sleep outside and free roam all the time.

So I would say, no they dont.

Back
Top Bottom