Do hens stop laying during Winter?

I couldn't be more frustrated. I have 14 hens: 5 Indian River 29 months old, 9 Buff Orp's 16 months old. The birds molted last June so egg production stopped. Since that time we have been getting 0 to 2 eggs per day. I'm almost to the point of filling my freezer and starting over.
I currently give them at least 12 hours of light, but will up this to 16 hours. Their fed Layena w/ Omega, plus fresh spinach leaves, carrots and a little bit of apples. The eggs, when we get them are delicious. Everyone that we use to give eggs to just rave over the flavor. On real cold nights, under 20 degress I give them 2 handfuls of mixed cracked grains, hen scratch, for warmth from the protein.
Other than giving more light does anyone have any other ideas??? Thanks for reading.

In discussing lighting with my vet friend he said that the birds need the gradual sunset to find their roost. He recommended that I set the light to come on early an then let them roost by the setting sun. I found other posts that supported the same idea…I love your program, you have put a lot of thought into it.

I couldn't be more frustrated. I have 14 hens: 5 Indian River 29 months old, 9 Buff Orp's 16 months old. The birds molted last June so egg production stopped. Since that time we have been getting 0 to 2 eggs per day. I'm almost to the point of filling my freezer and starting over.
I currently give them at least 12 hours of light, but will up this to 16 hours. Their fed Layena w/ Omega, plus fresh spinach leaves, carrots and a little bit of apples. The eggs, when we get them are delicious. Everyone that we use to give eggs to just rave over the flavor. On real cold nights, under 20 degress I give them 2 handfuls of mixed cracked grains, hen scratch, for warmth from the protein.
Other than giving more light does anyone have any other ideas??? Thanks for reading.

Light and ACV in their water.... My light comes on at 12:30 AM and sunset is 4:04 PM... I stopped the ACV 3 weeks ago because the mother was still growing in the heated water container and holding the nipples open and all the water was running out... cleaned the container and put straight water back in it.... Well, egg production slowed.... added ACV again and egg production is back up...
Now, all this could be a coincidence but I'm sticking with it.... For what it costs to keep the birds, they need to keep laying all winter... They are laying about 86% of 1 egg per chicken per day... I'm above break even....
I'm using "daylight" bulbs in the coop and run.... Light in the run is important so they can find food and water...

Last edited:
While I agree with Yardwork regarding the gradual decreased light to help the flock settle on the roost at night, that's obviously the best case scenario. But, my flock is settling on the roost long before lights out. My light comes on at 6 AM, off at 8 AM. Then on at 3:30 PM and off at 9 PM. I intended to overlap with a night light before total black out, but found it to be unnecessary. The girls are always settled on the roost long before the light goes out. While "they say" the flock should get extra light ONLY in the MORNING to allow a natural sunset for roosting, I don't want my rooster to be greeting the morning at 2 AM, and have found that night time lighting works great in my situation. Am using a 7W CFL to light a 10 x 12' coop. Up to 14/15 eggs/day which is better than my summer time production was.

I'm just babbling out loud here, but am thinking that if you provide supplemental light to keep the flock laying through the winter, it would be wise to boost their nutrition. My girls get FF, and sprouted mixed grains, BOSS, and brassica seeds. Also some meat occasionally.

Apple cider vinegar. To be beneficial, it doesn't have to be organic but it must be raw, unfiltered. Most of that ilk available will be organic.

Pasteurization destroys all the beneficial enzymes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom