Do I have a chance in heck?

redheadedhens

Chirping
Apr 26, 2016
San Diego, CA
I have 4 New Hampshire reds. Two are appx 12 weeks, and two are appx 10. (I say approximate bc I don’t fully trust the accuracy of the ages I was told at purchase based on feathering, size, etc).

For about 3 weeks I’ve been fairly certain one of the older is a cockerel. I have tried very hard to convince myself otherwise. Besides his physical attributes, his tendency to bite me-not peck-but bite also makes my denial harder to cling to.

So here’s my conundrum. Roosters were not part of my new flock plan. If he isn’t an outright jerk, I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him. BUT that means it’s 3 hens to 1 roo (and that’s assuming one of the younger ones doesn’t also fail me).

Have people been successful with such a low ratio?

I really wanted to avoid a flock of three...Personally I’ve had pecking order issues with that number.

Also, in case anyone asks, he bites when I try to touch him. As soon as he does it, I pick him up and hold him. In my brain, it makes him realize biting will not make me go away so he should just knock it off.

Attachments

• CCFA4246-4CE0-43AD-A127-4630BAFFAA31.jpeg
    CCFA4246-4CE0-43AD-A127-4630BAFFAA31.jpeg
    864.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 22023B5A-0EAF-4C85-A4BD-E57B2A6E298A.jpeg
    22023B5A-0EAF-4C85-A4BD-E57B2A6E298A.jpeg
    937 KB · Views: 27
  • 6C98F525-D6E2-44D7-B24D-DD64B8880D21.jpeg
    6C98F525-D6E2-44D7-B24D-DD64B8880D21.jpeg
    770.8 KB · Views: 25
I would say that’s a definite cockerel.

I have had success with a trio flock (1 cockerel 2 pullets) I have a lot of sq ft per bird and many things to entertain them (I have increased my flock since then). Have lots of hiding places, perches, a couple feeding/water stations, and a few nesting boxes.

Cockerels need to be taught young that you’re the dominant one. When he pecks you pick him up like you have, it will embarrass him in front of his flock. Continue to do it as he gets older. Never show fear to a rooster because once you do, they will continue to attack you and it will get worse.

I have 4 New Hampshire reds. Two are appx 12 weeks, and two are appx 10. (I say approximate bc I don’t fully trust the accuracy of the ages I was told at purchase based on feathering, size, etc).

For about 3 weeks I’ve been fairly certain one of the older is a cockerel. I have tried very hard to convince myself otherwise. Besides his physical attributes, his tendency to bite me-not peck-but bite also makes my denial harder to cling to.

So here’s my conundrum. Roosters were not part of my new flock plan. If he isn’t an outright jerk, I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him. BUT that means it’s 3 hens to 1 roo (and that’s assuming one of the younger ones doesn’t also fail me).

Have people been successful with such a low ratio?

I really wanted to avoid a flock of three...Personally I’ve had pecking order issues with that number.

Also, in case anyone asks, he bites when I try to touch him. As soon as he does it, I pick him up and hold him. In my brain, it makes him realize biting will not make me go away so he should just knock it off.
Definitely sounds like a cockerel and a testy one. And by the difference I would say your assumption is correct. Maybe you could add a couple more pullets around the same age?

I would say that’s a definite cockerel.

I have had success with a trio flock (1 cockerel 2 pullets) I have a lot of sq ft per bird and many things to entertain them (I have increased my flock since then). Have lots of hiding places, perches, a couple feeding/water stations, and a few nesting boxes.

Cockerels need to be taught young that you’re the dominant one. When he pecks you pick him up like you have, it will embarrass him in front of his flock. Continue to do it as he gets older. Never show fear to a rooster because once you do, they will continue to attack you and it will get worse.

Don’t tell him, but I am already afraid of him due to deep rooted childhood trauma from an absolute monster of a rooster we had as kids. Thankfully, he isn’t attacking nor does he yet appear to be trying to assert dominance. Although, I know he’s just starting to enter sexual maturity. Is there an age I can gauge his likely adult temperament?

I’ll continue to monitor. I make my 5 year old pick him up as well. I have three kids, and he isn’t allowed to eat them.

Attachments

• D8F66495-50B3-4A34-8689-658EB7A0EC3B.jpeg
    D8F66495-50B3-4A34-8689-658EB7A0EC3B.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 18
Definitely watch him with kids. Even my 7 year old will cower to an attacking rooster. My 3 year old wouldn't stand a chance to a rooster we tried to rescue. I hope you have better luck than we did. We ended up rehoming him because he was constantly flogging us. I would be a little concerned since you said he bites you already.

Don’t tell him, but I am already afraid of him due to deep rooted childhood trauma from an absolute monster of a rooster we had as kids. Thankfully, he isn’t attacking nor does he yet appear to be trying to assert dominance. Although, I know he’s just starting to enter sexual maturity. Is there an age I can gauge his likely adult temperament?

I’ll continue to monitor. I make my 5 year old pick him up as well. I have three kids, and he isn’t allowed to eat them.
They do not reach maturity until close to a year. He may start becoming a little monster when he start getting those hormones raging, but just know that those are the hormones and he truly cannot help it.

What I used to do with raging hormone cockerels (I have 2 roosters and 3 cockerels, I have rehomed cockerels because of size or coloring but I have had many)... I get a stick of some sort and I make sure they give me my space. I like to have about 2 or 3 feet between me and them because I do not like tripping on chickens. Usually they know I want my space within a week or so. If they try to attack (they will stomp their feet, puff up, and make themselves look big) I jump up and get real big... This usually makes them say WOAH and they instantly stop. I always acknowledge my cockerel first by their name and I give them some food in my hands so that they can feed their girls (this gets them distracted while I do other farm chores and they are not following me around like a puppy).

You know that you are going to have one mean cockerel when he is paying more attention to you than the flock or the girls. If he is constantly following you outside the fence and starting you down (sometimes attacking the fence)... Find a new cockerel or replace him with some pullets. Once they are at that point they will attack you constantly and it will never go away. You will know because they mean mug you at all times outside the fencing then when you go in they will not stop attacking you no matter what you do. Out of all the cockerels and roosters I have had... Only one has been this way. I think I have had 14 cockerels in 6 years. Most of them my friend took and some customers took because they weren't the right coloring for breeding or my girls just did not take interest in them.

The best cockerels I have ever had that have NEVER displayed any type of aggression were bantams. I have 3 bantam cockerels and they are the sweetest things ever. So if he does not work out... Get a bantam cockerel. They can breed with standard size chickens and they are just as protective of their flock as a standard sized chicken.

If he is biting you or pecking you... Do it back with your finger like you are a chicken. This might help you with that issue.
Oh that’s a great idea! Dog training, I can do. Chickens...I’m still working on it.
He definitely just wants nothing to do with me, which I’m hoping is a good sign. He avoids me when I’m changing water and filling feeders, etc.

Back
Top Bottom