Do I have four Broodies??

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
I have 2BOs, a black sexlink and a white..I always call her a leghorn, but she’s not, in a hurry so I can’t look her up. Anyways..they all have been setting in my nest boxes..like crazy!! I sell my eggs and the demand has sky rocketed!! I have 3 stores now...who deliver...and need 4dz a week. I can’t afford any broody hens!! I also have egg eaters, so that doesn’t help...working on that issue. Anyways. 8 put these 4 into broody breakers today. But they are making lots of noise...my hubby thinks I’m torturing them. Thinks they are not broody. My egg counts have dropped from 27-32 a day to 23-25 a day...including the ones they eat...I even suspect I may have a few more going broody? Is this all in my mind? They seem to just set in there! I’m starting my own hatch tomorrow...I do not want them to set! Any hints if these girls are really broody? How long do I leave them in the breaker? Until they start to lay?

I do not believe they are all broody but if they are take the eggs away no matter what let them stay in the nest if they want to just as long as the eggs are gone they will soon get bored and give up

Any hints if these girls are really broody?
These are my go-to signs:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
Are there feathers in the nest, and missing from her breast/belly?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Back
Top Bottom