Do I have to worry about minks now after the chickens moved?

Yes, just dirt. All of my runs are just plain, old dirt -- but with protective hardware cloth aprons two feet out and weighted down. The run sides and the top are all covered in hardware cloth.

Three of my coops came without floors and just rested on the ground. I installed hardware cloth in all of those.

I totally understand about not killing predators. I was reluctant to even kill the rats, but since they were getting into the coops, I HAD to do something. The rats were caught in kill traps -- baited with dog kibble that was hot glued down so they couldn't dine and dash. Eventually, I got an electronic trap the rats would enter and get electrocuted.

It's easy to blame predators and hate them. But, they're just doing what comes naturally and can't really be expected to know the difference between a wild meal and a domesticated one. The best strategy, as you now know, is a good defense.

BTW, it took a long time, but my poultry -- chickens, ducks and geese -- resumed "free ranging" during the day, in the yard adjoining the house (no more wandering back to the barn area) and only when I am home. We all rest Much Better now.

you didn’t mention they were outside. you’re gonna have to keep them locked up for a while.
The chickens have moved coop
is their coop and run completely predator proof?
No run yet, but the coop is predator proof
he will, because every time he comes to your coop he gets fed.
(we've moved them)
just wondering why you didn’t address this after 2 losses, or 5, or 10, or…. forty chickens is a lot of chickens.
I did with family members, but they didn't care for keeping the chickens alive and everything I've adressed they just responded with ''There's nothing we can do''. No one cared about keeping them alive, all my suggestion got immideantly thrown into the bin due to ''There's nothing we can do''! Lovely..
But yeaah, eventually my mother was into caring for them

I have an elevated coop with an attached run and before I built it (I being my husband while I watched and criticised him) I unrolled several rolls of hardware cloth the entire length and width of the run plus a foot outside of the run on every side. I placed the run on top of the hardware cloth, so even if something tries to dig under the outside apron and makes it all the way under the run they still can't get up and in. I secured the hardware cloth to the run base and then filled in the run with 4-5" wet packed limestone screenings, plus more around the outside to help with drainage. The chickens have plenty of depth to dig and dust bathe in but so far no rats or weasel/minks have been able to get in. It doesn't help with free ranging, but it could help keep your chickens safe for awhile while you figure out a new trapping program to help trim down your mink population.

i had a mink try to get into my coop a few years back. long story short he met a coni bear in a box.

as your from Sweden i see, not sure your laws over there but, not sure if its legal for you to shoot or trap them. once they get a taste for blood they will be back. i would highly recommend removing the problem animals. also build up a good predator safe coop.

best of luck

I did with family members, but they didn't care for keeping the chickens alive and everything I've adressed they just responded with ''There's nothing we can do''. No one cared about keeping them alive, all my suggestion got immideantly thrown into the bin due to ''There's nothing we can do''! Lovely..
But yeaah, eventually my mother was into caring for them
I’m so sorry..how truly helpless and frustrated you must feel. I am glad to read about you building the run. 1/2 in hardware cloth is the way to go. It’s expensive but then so is 40+ chickens, and your grief!
you advocated well for your flock, and you were the change agent that helped your mom see the value of them and what they mean to you… It isn’t easy to change someone’s mind, but there you are, doing it! Good for you, young lady for not giving up 😊

Back
Top Bottom