Do I need a heat lamp if my chicks are inside?

pfewless

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
I just got 6 chicks from TSC today. Ihave a heat lamp but am not sure if I need to use it. I have them in a big box with bedding & newspaper. They have their feeder and water container. I put electrolite in the water like they said. They are in the family room near the pellet stove. It stays about 68 degrees 24/7 in there. So I am asking if I need to put a heat lamp on them and if so for how many hours a day and how close to the box should it be? or at what temp should it be at the bottom of the box where they are? Iknow to keep it away from the food and water area. Thank You for any answers.

Yes heat lamp Chicks need about 90 deg for first week and then lower about 5 deg a week to 70 deg
24/7
if you hang the lamp above the brooder to heat half of it you can raise it to lower the temp until it is no longer needed.

I just got 6 chicks from TSC today. Ihave a heat lamp but am not sure if I need to use it. I have them in a big box with bedding & newspaper. They have their feeder and water container. I put electrolite in the water like they said. They are in the family room near the pellet stove. It stays about 68 degrees 24/7 in there. So I am asking if I need to put a heat lamp on them and if so for how many hours a day and how close to the box should it be? or at what temp should it be at the bottom of the box where they are? Iknow to keep it away from the food and water area. Thank You for any answers.

Yes, they need a heat lamp 24/7 for about six weeks. the brooder temp should be 90-95 degrees this week and 5 degrees cooler each week until 70 degrees. Give them space to move away from heat if they wish and keep food and water in the cool area.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom