Do I need a heat lamp?

peacockfeather

Songster
6 Years
May 29, 2014
It's summertime and near 80 degrees indoors, where my ~2 day old chicks are currently staying. I was wondering if a heat lamp is even necessary? (I've offered warm, rice filled socks and haven't heard a peep being too cold since they've been out of the incubator (they were in there 24 hours)). I've heard of the whool hen and am wondering if I can use that idea instead, being as it is already hot out and I hate the idea of using a heat lamp. I need advice!

No. Probably not during the day as long as they're protected form drafts. But they will need a bit of heat at night. Or the wool hen.

Chicks are active during the day and will consume calories to produce body heat, but at night they mostly sleep. So they will need heat or a wool hen to keep them from losing body heat. If you use a light, you will only need a 75-100 watt bulb.

They need to be warmer than 80. Momma hen would keep them incubator warm. You don't need a heat lamp, probably a 100 watt bulb would work.

OK, I figured they would need a bit more warmth at night (especially since they're still so little ). Overall they seem comfortable during the day. Do you think a wool hen will keep them from getting too chilly at night?

I used a heating pad on medium and an old piece of sheep skin for my last few batches for them to snuggle on at will. They weaned off early and easily outside in the summer heat and wanted nothing to do with their warm bed by 3 weeks old. No heat lamp required. :D

They need to be warmer than 80. Momma hen would keep them incubator warm. You don't need a heat lamp, probably a 100 watt bulb would work.
When you take into consideration the ambient temperature, you may be able to get away with a lower temperature from the heat source. For example, when it's 80F, a chick will not lose body heat as fast as it will at 50F. The warmer it is, the less heat you need because the chicks aren't losing body heat.

Folks get into trouble when they scrupulously adhere to the heat guidelines despite the ambient temp being very warm.

Also, chicks brooded by a hen spend very little time under her when it's warm. I've had baby chicks all summer, and they are out running around at temps from 70F and up, only ducking under mama hen for quick warmups, then it's off to the races again. Again, it's the fact they do not lose body heat very fast at warmer temps.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the heating pad system. It would be the perfect and easiest solution for providing a heat source, both during the day and at night. You would need only leave it on a low setting during the day and crank it up a notch at night. The chicks adjust their need for heat just as they would with a broody hen.

Remember, a heating pad warms by direct contact (like a hen), not radiant heat, so it needs to be low enough to touch the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom